• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Early season height

deleted_user01

If you don't already, try this...
The leaf cover is usually very dense in my area. Since I hunt pretty low early season ( 8 - 12 ft) it seems to give me some additional shooting time at sundown ( better vision). When I got above that (12- ??)
It was always harder to see the ground .

Good advice, I am going to try that.
I have been scouting some oak flats that may permit me to get high, even in the early seaon here in VA. Acorns are raining right now and deer are already eating them up.

There are some really thick stream bottoms where I may only bring 2 sticks and etriers and use this technique. Good call, thanks.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

I think elevation is revelent to the terrain.hunting from the strato sphere isn't always necessary as shot angles increase dramatically. I always try for double lung and heart angles for clean kills.

I tend to set up on convergence of trails at the bottom of hills. I can set up on the high side of the terrain and be high over the trail but not high off the ground.

Learning....

just depends on the level of the canopy some places tend to be more open than others....so the ninja plays it by ear on height

Interesting topic, I just setup a tree for srt about 30, the tree is fairly open with only a little coverage.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Has anyone considered moving a few branches to break up your siloette at your hunting height? It might be too difficult or not really worth it, just curious

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I read on a different forum someone had taken old articial xmas tree branches and zip-tied them to other branches on their tree for more cover... could probably do similar with real branches.

I read on a different forum someone had taken old articial xmas tree branches and zip-tied them to other branches on their tree for more cover... could probably do similar with real branches.

That could work, although if you use real branches you would have to replace them often, it could work in a pinch I guess.

Hopefully the several weeks of presetting numerous trees near old scrapes after last seasons scouting will pay off. I went back about a month and a half or so ago and re-pruned the new growth and shooting areas I had previously trimmed. Over half the trees I set up I will not have to hunt real high till the leaves begin to drop this fall.

I usually bring a couple hooks to tie on bow rope to pull cover from surrounding trees into position. tip - leave some sort of hook or nite ize twisty or something on the bottom of your platform upright, top stick, etc. toss some sort of grapple hook on bow rope and into nearby tree branch, pull over and twist tie branch underneath you. or to the side of you. Either way, it's free cover, it's already there, and usually you can do it without having to kill it or be permanent.

Whatever height is best for outline breakup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends on background foliage. Where I hunt I usually hunt 20 to 25 feet high.

Back