• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Everything cam cleats

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Well @BassBoysLLP asked for it, so here it is. The everything cam cleats thread. I'm really digging them too and I'll take a small weight hit for their ease of use, plus you can use some really small diameter ropes with them.

My big question is what hardware is everyone attaching them to their sticks with? All of the cam cleats I am seeing are coming with holes smaller than 1/4". 1/4" is the smallest size for grade 8 hardware, which is the standard. I know there are 2 holes so the load is distributed but I'm not an expert on this stuff so let's hear what you got.

Also what cam cleats are you using and do you recommend? The ronstan c cleats are really nice.

Mine are aluminum attached with a 5/16-18 shoulder bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the last 3 years, I've been using the Ronstan C Cleats mostly but have used the Harken 150 Cam Cleats on my run and gun Lone Wolf lock-ons. Of course that was before the saddle. I've also used amsteel blue with them and have never had the slightest issues. I'm 200 lbs and with all my gear on, I probably weigh considerably more.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8

What size of ronstan c cleats do you use. The small medium or large...

For the last 3 years, I've been using the Ronstan C Cleats mostly but have used the Harken 150 Cam Cleats on my run and gun Lone Wolf lock-ons. Of course that was before the saddle. I've also used amsteel blue with them and have never had the slightest issues. I'm 200 lbs and with all my gear on, I probably weigh considerably more.

I am going to try small. They have a working load of 265 pounds. A breaking load of 330 pound and a sfw of only 165. They are half the weight and small so the stick will stack better. I used the mediums this fall.

I used 5 mm rope I bought at MEC that is rated for 5,000 pounds.
I know the small is riskier but it is tied off with two half hitches and I am sure the cam cleats take a lot of the weight.

The screws are really small in both those cam cleats..

What type of hardware are you attaching them with?

• Here are the Ronstan specs for rope sizes dimensions and suggested hardware and loading specs.

• Small C-cleats require two 4mm (#10) FHMS. Hole Spacing: 1-1/16". Height: 3/4". Line Size: 3/32"–5/16". Max. Working Load (MWL): 265lb.
  • Medium C-cleats require two 5mm (3/16") FHMS. Hole Spacing: 1-1/12". Height: 1". Line Size: 1/8"–1/2". Max. Working Load (MWL): 400lb.
  • Large C-cleats require two 6mm (1/4") FHMS. Hole Spacing: 2". Height: 1-/8". Line Size: 1/4"–5/8". Max. Working Load (MWL): 510lb.

• Here are the Ronstan specs for rope sizes dimensions and suggested hardware and loading specs.

• Small C-cleats require two 4mm (#10) FHMS. Hole Spacing: 1-1/16". Height: 3/4". Line Size: 3/32"–5/16". Max. Working Load (MWL): 265lb.
  • Medium C-cleats require two 5mm (3/16") FHMS. Hole Spacing: 1-1/12". Height: 1". Line Size: 1/8"–1/2". Max. Working Load (MWL): 400lb.
  • Large C-cleats require two 6mm (1/4") FHMS. Hole Spacing: 2". Height: 1-/8". Line Size: 1/4"–5/8". Max. Working Load (MWL): 510lb.
I have seen the specs. This is what I want to talk about. What specific types of screws. As an extreme example you can get those screws in nylon just based on the sizes.

I have seen the specs. This is what I want to talk about. What specific types of screws. As an extreme example you can get those screws in nylon just based on the sizes.
Used what they called for this fall. But I used medium cam cleats. 3/16 bolts and lock nuts

I wonder if the weak point in the cam cleats is the bolt. The safe working loads are low. I wonder if you drilled it out like you suggested if the small cam cleat ends up being stronger.

Need to make a correction...this past season was my 4th season to use them...not 1 slight problem whatsoever.

If they only have the number 10 screw they must be the small cam cleat not the medium. Is that correct. It would be nice to know.

Are they 3/4 of inch high or 1 inch. The small ones are 3/4 of an inch.

I wonder if the weak point in the cam cleats is the bolt. The safe working loads are low. I wonder if you drilled it out like you suggested if the small cam cleat ends up being stronger.
Don't drill them out. It worked great on the first one, but I noticed it was a tight fit. The second one I tried busted so I won't try it again. This is why I'm so hung up on making sure I use safe hardware with them.

Back