• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Evolution Sit Drag Style

CharlieRayT

Has anyone ever considered using just the top section of the Evolution as a Sit Drag style saddle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone ever considered using just the top section of the Evolution as a Sit Drag style saddle?

ad0269e9660fe9590e993633148c4111.jpg

I tried it for two days but the main strap that cradles you gave me bruises on my hip bones. I literally looked like I had been hit with a baseball on both hips by the end of the second day. However, there were a lot of good things about it.

I am a DIY guy; a curse of sorts.
Here is a saddle that I have used that I modeled after what you are referencing.
Mine was very comfortable, here is a picture of it where I was hanging in my garage while wearing my old business suit.
044987c4670e830198a2b982616948e7.jpg
1fc09444484677fb7efc80fa474b6259.jpg

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

I am a DIY guy; a curse of sorts.
Here is a saddle that I have used that I modeled after what you are referencing.
Mine was very comfortable, here is a picture of it where I was hanging in my garage while wearing my old business suit.
044987c4670e830198a2b982616948e7.jpg
1fc09444484677fb7efc80fa474b6259.jpg

Wow. Great job. I’m gonna give it a try. The entire Evolution is just so bulky.

Yes. This was very popular before the sit drag. It's popularity died as the sit drag became more popular. Now the sit popularity of the sit drag has deminished with the introduction of the Kestrel.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I wish the Kestrel had came first. Lol. With what I paid for the Evolution I’m not wanting to sell it at a loss. It’s comfortable and all but cumbersome.

I just found Dave’s videos. Lol. Questions answered. Thanks DaveT.

I wish the Kestrel had came first. Lol. With what I paid for the Evolution I’m not wanting to sell it at a loss. It’s comfortable and all but cumbersome.

Exactly. Most dumped the Evolution for that reason. Although some still like the Evolution more than the Kestrel.

I have thought about this many times. I am in the same situation, I have an EVO but cant justify selling it right now. I find it very comfortable , but i agree it is bulky; well bulkier than other saddle types minus the guidos web. I thought about wearing the belt, in conjunction with a sit drag; so both the evo waist belt and the sit drag with no rc harness. buuuuuuut i never have. Maybe when the kestrel shipping calms down i will justify the leap....

I would probably use either tubular webbing or amsteel as the bridge.

I tried it and I felt like I could slip out of it real easy. The sit drag is more conforming to your body and worked good with a RCH. I own the Evo and Kestrel and both saddles are awesome. On the Evo , pull all the adjustment as tight as they will go and you wont notice the buckles, then look to your bridge , tether height and platform type for comfort... it worked great for me. Good luck !

I think Davet1963 did this

Yes I did. I got rid of all the crap on the evolution after one sit in it. I still use mine as my tree prepping rig. I cut off those plastic snaps and replaced them with paracord loops to hang my two sticks for climbing. I use a presewn unltratek runner with 2 carbineers for my bridge and have another length of it for my tree strap. Since I am only using this to prep trees I went with the smallest ultratek and a duck kong for the tether.

Yes. This was very popular before the sit drag. It's popularity died as the sit drag became more popular. Now the sit popularity of the sit drag has deminished with the introduction of the Kestrel.

Here is my DIY Kestrel...
I have no doubt that a real Kestrel is better, but mine is close enough for me.
Last season I hunted the VA opening day from sun up to sun down in this saddle with no knee pads or tree padding. Had to try a marathon sit at least once :)
ee1f23eb7a13f2946ea6f3c8f732ec30.jpg
033f05d71d3e8efbf94e2418f9d5ecea.jpg

Back