• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Falling Forward in the Kestrel

justsomedude

Not a complaint...an observation.

So...the reason this happens is the lack of leg loops.
The saddle is designed for half standing on a platform.
Setting your tether at about eye level improves the angle.
But if you relax your hips forward, your legs go straight down and the bridge attachments pull up.

The falling forward thing is really showing up for me when climbing using an Aider for instance. You set your tether as high as you can and take in the slack and hang as you move your foot loop up the tree. You will tend to stand as high as you can as you take up the slack...so your hips are forward when you load the saddle.
So now you are hanging against the tree with the tether going almost straight up and you feel like you are falling forward out of the saddle.

If you make an effort to sit back in the saddle a little before putting your weight in it, it is better.

If you REALLY wanted a solution, I think the fix would be to make a simple Leg Band....but then we are adding bulk and more adjustments.

I'm not sure I understand the falling forward in the saddle questions(not you justsomedude, just in general. Can't you just tighten up the side adjustment straps? That is what it is there for. Falling forward in the saddle means that there is not enough pressure under your legs/lower butt section.

I used to slide out of my mesh ambush tree saddle all the time. It was lacking adjustment straps and after getting an aero hunt I realized what was going on.

The core of the problem is if you put the Kestrel on with the waist belt to high and/or don't run your leg straps snug enough. I Just went and did a few climbs and set it up with the waist low. Now the saddle stays farther forward under your butt.

The core of the problem is if you put the Kestrel on with the waist belt to high and/or don't run your leg straps snug enough. I Just went and did a few climbs and set it up with the waist low. Now the saddle stays farther forward under your butt.
I think I get it now. I loosen up my waist buckle so I can position the saddle where I want it. I am definitely still getting used to the lower profile of the kestrel seat.

I'm new to saddle hunting but could the low profile be giving you that feeling of sliding forward

It's a game of inches.... if the saddle isn't under you, you tip forward.

In a sit drag, you just scoot farther back...and then your legs go to sleep!

I confirmed this last night. I loosen the waist belt up and slide the kestrel down slightly where I want it to sit on my butt. If I let it sit where it would with the waist belt tight it would be too high and ride up. I guess doing this was second nature to me so I didn't think about it.

I confirmed this last night. I loosen the waist belt up and slide the kestrel down slightly where I want it to sit on my butt. If I let it sit where it would with the waist belt tight it would be too high and ride up. I guess doing this was second nature to me so I didn't think about it.
That's why you're the ADMINISTRATOR :)

I've been playing with the Kestrel along side my custom "double" sit drag (overlapped than sewed together). I also have that falling forward feeling unless I let the tether out a little more than usual. I hate even saying it but the sit drag(s) is just nicer to sit or lean in. I'll keep trying the kestrel just because it's SOOO well made. Hard not to love it!

I know what you guys are talking about!! I think if you place the kestrel on as normal it is optimized for a leaner. If you loosen the waist belt letting it fall below normal waist height and let your bridge out then retighten the waist belt you can sit quite comfortable. Just my observation!!

Exactly what I found this morning when I tried mine. Much better when I loosen the buckles a little and let it slide down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just did a few climbs in Hot Pants mode....MUCH better.
BUT
Walking back in, I got droopy drawers...wearing it below the belt is great for the climb but not for the hike!

So what you're saying is that there's a good chance that the designers of the Kestrel wore skinny jeans am I correct by thinking this?

We can get the Saddlehunter crew together to do an ad like this for NewTribe :)
d5dd24a232d304a95337d24e2b902bfd.jpg

Back