• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Favorite Turkey decoys?

pilgrimhunter

So I asked this over on the Hunting Beast and thought I would ask you guys to.

I am looking to buy some turkey decoys for this spring. I really would prefer to have something packable to run and gun with. Leaning towards Montana' purrfect pair.

What do you guys like? Any recommendations?
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I like the Avian X line of decoys.
Do they pack down at all for transport while hunting? I was looking at them a bit. Good looking decoys but would prefer something that packed down.

Do they pack down at all for transport while hunting? I was looking at them a bit. Good looking decoys but would prefer something that packed down.

They are collapsible. Allowing you to easily carry them in a vest. They have a valve stem on their under side that allows for the air to be released and inflated. When you inflate them, just open the valve and inflate to a “soft, red gym dodge ball” feel.

I also use Avian X decoys & love them! But they are bulky & heavy. I know they collapse down but that rubber while ultra realistic is a load. I have a 1/2 strut jake , a feeding hen & standing hen. I usually keep the feeding hen in the back of my vest & carry the other 2 in one of the bags they come with. I rarely carry all 3 when I’m doing a run & gun on long walks, but will if I know of some open ground along the way. Also turkey fan is killer, just be super careful! We always assume we’re alone in the chase for the gobbler, not always the case. In open ground away from the wood line it’s an unbelievable tactic!!

I have avian x as well. They do deflate but I wouldn’t exactly call them portable. I have also had issues with them not holding air. Seems like every other season a valve goes bad. I usually just buy a new one and shove the old one in the box and return it. Otherwise they are great dekes and definitely pull birds.

Still I’m tempted to offload and get some DSD Birds. I am usually not running and gunning so packability is not a priority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Call in some real hens!! Lol if I can't do that Avian X hens are awesome, and just a fan to temp Tom's

I run an Avian X hen. It is the most realistic decoy I have seen (I don't claim to be an expert).
I don't inflate it in the field, that is possible but I prefer to avoid that step during setup.

I bow hunt Turkey's and I love the Avian X breeding hen and the flextone funky chicken. Gobblers cannot resist this setup.

I’ve been thinking of dropping the money on a DSD quarter strut Jake. Any experiences with those?

Decoys are just to high $$$$$ priced. I hardly ever use a decoy while in timber but I do use a Montana Hen and a 1/4 jake with a real fan, 4 blow up Cherokee type decoys while hunting from my ground blind in large fields or clear cuts.
More the decoys the better I belive while in open areas.

I bought a Miss Purrfect to use this season for $10. Clearance. I like the "textured" look to it and the fact that it's easy to shove in a vest. I don't think you'll be able to beat it for run-and-gun hunting. Fast and light is the way to go on the WMAs I hunt.

The avian x decoys look awesome, but their turkey dekes are silly heavy and NOT portable. Used to have to set up displays at the sporting goods store I worked at and they are a pain to blow up and deflate. Can't imagine having to do it multiple times in the field. I have their woodie dekes and love them though.

I bought a Miss Purrfect to use this season for $10. Clearance. I like the "textured" look to it and the fact that it's easy to shove in a vest. I don't think you'll be able to beat it for run-and-gun hunting. Fast and light is the way to go on the WMAs I hunt.

The avian x decoys look awesome, but their turkey dekes are silly heavy and NOT portable. Used to have to set up displays at the sporting goods store I worked at and they are a pain to blow up and deflate. Can't imagine having to do it multiple times in the field. I have their woodie dekes and love them though.
Never had a problem with the Avian X not heavy at all . Put it in its bag along with a Flextone funky chicken and away I go. No problem blowing them up. Just my opinion.

Never had a problem with the Avian X not heavy at all . Put it in its bag along with a Flextone funky chicken and away I go. No problem blowing them up. Just my opinion.
Maybe it's just me. Wouldn't be the first time I struggled with something simple. I know they're supposed to be top of the line. Just never cared for the ones I played with.

Been also looking at the funky chicken... Read reviews and most that have used it like it. Lot of bashing by people that haven't used it... Have you had good luck with it?

Been also looking at the funky chicken... Read reviews and most that have used it like it. Lot of bashing by people that haven't used it... Have you had good luck with it?

Took a gobbler with a 10 1/2" beard and 1 inch Spurs. Came right into the Avian X and the funky chicken shot him at 25 yards with my bow using a Magnus bullhead hit him in the head went right down. He came in and was looking for a fight. Love the gun chicken.

I should’ve mentioned earlier, I usually have my dad & one of my kids with me on our first morning setup. Then we kinda split up & I cover ground & they camp out somewhere with dekes. So each person just grabs a bag with a decoy in it, I don’t deflate them all the way. You can just give them a few puffs when you’re setting up. So when we split up I just take one hen & my turkeyfan (check out their website www.turkeyfan.com) that combo is killer for many different gobbler scenarios. I just keep it on the back of my vest & pop it out if I make visual contact with birds. I know I said it earlier, but if you watch those videos, those guys are using it for cover in the woods. That scares me to death, great way to get shot in the face. But someplace that you can really see, at least you would get ambushed by a hunter that you don’t know is there..........

Back