• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Field Dressing/Skinning Knife

Whispers Death

I thought I lost my Havalon Piranta after skinning my daughters deer. Turns out it was under the meat in the cooler, but I had already ordered a replacement and I decided to upgrade. This is the Hydra. It has Filet, hunting and saw blades that fit on one end and a variety of scalpel blades that fit on the other and I love it. The blades are unbelievably sharp and last a long time. This is not a prying knife. It is designed for slicing and precision cutting. It is very light and will replace my heavier knife and pelvic saw that I had in my pack.

Havalon_Hydra.jpg

ooooh. I hadn't seen this one yet. I love my Havalon knife. It's broken down many critters. But I REALLY LIKE this new one...I might need to "lose" mine for a little while.

I thought I lost my Havalon Piranta after skinning my daughters deer. Turns out it was under the meat in the cooler, but I had already ordered a replacement and I decided to upgrade. This is the Hydra. It has Filet, hunting and saw blades that fit on one end and a variety of scalpel blades that fit on the other and I love it. The blades are unbelievably sharp and last a long time. This is not a prying knife. It is designed for slicing and precision cutting. It is very light and will replace my heavier knife and pelvic saw that I had in my pack.

Havalon_Hydra.jpg

Is that a bonesaw? Looks real cool

They last quite a while if you touch them up on a stick or strop. When I do change them, I throw the old ones in the bottom of my sharpening box and next time I get the wicked edge out, I touch them up....except the saw blades. I suppose I will toss them. I don't know how long they last.

How is the cleanup with those ? Dishwasher?
I'm old school fixed blade (Russell Canadian Belt Knife at the moment) have considered a set.

So this uses scalpel blades? Ive got a swing blade and dont think I could live without the gut hook.

I actually use both. I use my buck knife with gut hook to field dress. The havalon i use to skin and any other small knife projects.

I am scared of the havalon though it slipped while gutting a deer a last year and I ended up putting it through my hand. It went all the way through before i even felt anything. Long story short i pulled the blade out lol (not recommended) and some steri strips and super glue lol fixed. I got lucky i think but sometimes i do get some tingling in my thumb. Not my brightest moment but hey life has some bright times and then some not so bright lol.

I've honestly been using a $20 Kershaw Crown for my field dressing and general hunting needs for the last three years. It seems every time I get I beefier knife it either gets lost or broken. But I can't say I've ever had a situation where I couldn't get it done with this knife. I even used it for boning out my last four deer until this year when I got a cheap set of chicago cutlery knives from wally world. Which you can't beat for $9 they held their edge very well with just the occational touch up from the honing rod.
maxresdefault.jpg

I might just buy a set of these to keep in my hunting bag.
0002797901531_500X500.jpg

Why does anyone use anything other than a havalon? Seriously. It does everything and never gets dull. I've broken down many critters with mine and can't think of a single negative.
The only negative I have is that its almost too sharp lol. I make sure I go slow and am extra careful because I'm seriously worried about cutting a finger off.

Besides that it is amazing at how good they are. I find that I break the blades by forcing them to do things they shouldn't way before it gets dull.

And also they have the piranta on camofire today. I've seen it pop up on there a few times recently.

The only negative I have is that its almost too sharp lol. I make sure I go slow and am extra careful because I'm seriously worried about cutting a finger off.

Besides that it is amazing at how good they are. I find that I break the blades by forcing them to do things they shouldn't way before it gets dull.

And also they have the piranta on camofire today. I've seen it pop up on there a few times recently.
Agreed. They are CRAZY SHARP.

I saw some gut hooks online for the havalin this week. Can't remember where though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I will agree with Red. They are scary sharp and I know that when i had my accident I distinctly remember not knowing I punctured my hand till I visually saw it in my hand. Also blades when forced will break however they are a nice investment but you just have to be more careful than with a regular knife.

I will agree with Red. They are scary sharp and I know that when i had my accident I distinctly remember not knowing I punctured my hand till I visually saw it in my hand. Also blades when forced will break however they are a nice investment but you just have to be more careful than with a regular knife.
Yea, reading what happened to you really scared me. They are soooo sharp! I was gutting my doe on saturday and I slowed it down even more lol.

Yea, reading what happened to you really scared me. They are soooo sharp! I was gutting my doe on saturday and I slowed it down even more lol.

LOL I have more respect for that blade now!! Don't get me wrong it is a great knife those blades are scapels so yes scary sharp. You just have to be careful because they slice and puncture with little to know effort. Lol no mercy with them.

Just out of curiosity I did a search for scalpels just to see how much they cost. A box of ten disposables is $5.20.
http://biologyproducts.com/disposable-scalpel-22/
Anything marketed for hunting is more expensive that is for sure. I would prefer the piranta over carrying disposable scalpel's in the woods though. Just the fact that the blade folds up makes it safer IMO. But it would definitely work.

Back