• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First Saddle Buck and First Texas Buck

Bobert

IMG_1699.JPG

It wasn't a monster by any means, but I was still proud to arrow my first Texas buck and my first deer out of a saddle.

I received permission to hunt a small 10 acre parcel that was nestled among farms and other camps. After practicing and anticipating this fall season all summer long, I was a little annoyed that I didn't have more time to hunt this year. Work and various life events made for a short bow season for me. It was only my second time being in the tree and I knew I wouldn't have another opportunity this fall. Therefore, I told myself that the first legal buck or doe that walked under me, I was going to fling an arrow. At around 6:20PM, this young buck appeared in the pipeline right-of-way that I was hunting on. I slowly grabbed my bow and readied myself for the shot. Expecting the buck to stay in the pipeline, I settled back and aimed my video camera through the shooting lane that gave me a clear view of the pipeline. To my surprise, the buck immediately walked across the pipeline and headed straight for the base of my tree. The buck moved quickly and he didn't waiver in his direct line to my tree. I didn't have time to adjust the camera. When the buck was virtually right under the tree, I let an arrow go. The arrow plunged straight through his back and exited just below the brisket. The buck took off and as I sat in the tree, I heard him crash through the underbrush. Within 2 minutes, the woods fell silent. I knew he had gone down not far from the tree.

It was a fun hunt and it was great to finally get a deer out of the saddle. Thanks to all you guys on this website who's knowledge and experience saddle hunting has provided me with some great insight into this unique way of hunting. Appreciate ya!

Back