• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

first snow hunt of the season

halltrail

20170107_143743.jpg I made it out around noon on public but had to walk in about 1.5 miles. About 7 guys or so were on there way out that just finished a deer drive. Wasnt sure what impact that would have on my night. The snow had really picked up a lot once I was hiking. I only had on my wool baselayers...so I got a little wet...and a little sweaty...probably had one upper layer too many. Got set up around 1:15 where ive seen a lot of deer. Didnt see any deer tracks near my spot. Im still testing out this Sitka incinerator suit. So I got that on and some artic shield boot blankets. Really like the boot blankets because I can just wear my hiking boots in...which is a lot better than rubber boots for hiking. With no insulation in my boots (lowa tibet's)..my feet stayed warm for the 4.5 hours or so I was out. Temp should have been about 22 degrees.

The sitka Insinerator did a good job too. Not as warm as the IWOM but lighter and not as bulky. A few times I get the shivers...but would stand up and warm up a bit...and then fine again. For me, it seems it is a good 4-5 hour suit in 20 degree temps. But, im sure the sweat from walking in hurt a good bit.

First time Ive been in this spot out of 8 hunts, I didnt see a single deer. Not sure if the wind was swirling too much or the deer drive had them locked down until after dark?20170107_143805.jpg

Back