• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First stab at a sit drag and saddle.

After linking up with @Scott F today and checking out his sit-drag setup he hunts out of, it definately got my gears turning. I went through some of the old gear I had hoarded from my Army days and started stripping some webbing and sacrificed a duffle bag and a Molle carrier. Borrowed my daughter's cheapo Singer and mocked up a sit drag and saddle. The saddle I am hoping to attach to my rock harness to relieve the leg straps from digging on my legs. Has anyone had any success with marrying the two. To me it looks like a TL tree saddle in form. We shall see how it functions. I have a waist belt to go on the sit-drag as well. Now I just need to find an oldie but goodie machine to send some strong thread through these. Might have to resort to hand stitching with a sewing awl, that will take a while.

Last edited:
Looks pretty slick, although I don't think those paper clips and staples will hold it together very well when you try and sit in it! Do you have a thread injector?
I found that out the hard way, couldn't figure out why it wouldn't hold my weight when I tried hanging in my basement. Hahaha. I have a line on a couple old singers, the one I have now is a cheap plastic one we got for my daughter to learn on. It won't do 4 layers of fabric let alone webbing. I'm probably going out today to pick up a speedy stitcher so I can add some box stitches so it'll stay together until i get a thread injector that'll handle the material.

Last edited:
Got the sit drag stitched up for now, still need to add the waist strap for walking and sew the webbings completely instead of a few box stitches. I had to try it our soon as I got some stitches that would hold me. Threw on an improvised tubular nylon bridge ended up hanging and practicing moving around for over an hour outside at 10pm. Very comfortable so far but a couple tweeks and it could be spot on.

Attachments

• Photo on 9-11-17 at 3.54 AM.jpg
    Photo on 9-11-17 at 3.54 AM.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 124
  • Photo on 9-11-17 at 3.54 AM.jpg
    Photo on 9-11-17 at 3.54 AM.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 114
Finally got my rockharness married to a sit drag once I found out my daughters walmart thread injector will sew 3 layers of webbing. Its dang near perfect for what I need for now. Of course I want to rip it apart and make one with perfect dimensions and stitching that looks better. Turned out pretty dang good for eyeballing it all. It took 4 iterations to settle on this version for now. Found some knee pads I forgot I had stashed away, most comfortable sit so far. I sat instead of leaning and mad it made a huge difference in how much i had to move. I have one more pouch to add to the back and have to add a linesman belt and back support.

Attachments

• IMG_4103.JPG
    IMG_4103.JPG
    473.5 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_4102.JPG
    IMG_4102.JPG
    469.5 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_4104.JPG
    IMG_4104.JPG
    437.7 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_4096.JPG
    IMG_4096.JPG
    633 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_4098.JPG
    IMG_4098.JPG
    903.9 KB · Views: 212
Finally got my rockharness married to a sit drag once I found out my daughters walmart thread injector will sew 3 layers of webbing. Its dang near perfect for what I need for now. Of course I want to rip it apart and make one with perfect dimensions and stitching that looks better. Turned out pretty dang good for eyeballing it all. It took 4 iterations to settle on this version for now. Found some knee pads I forgot I had stashed away, most comfortable sit so far. I sat instead of leaning and mad it made a huge difference in how much i had to move. I have one more pouch to add to the back and have to add a linesman belt and back support.

Looks great....like a trimmed down Kestral

Funny thing is I haven't even seen one in person. Just went with what made sense in my head. I made an adjustment to the belt attachment points and made it worse so I will have to reattach it how I had it for the near future SO im not changing it up in between every other hunt. I just need to dial in some pouch placement and what I carry in them.

nice job though, I started to sew a sit drag once, but they were so cheap. Still your diy sitdrag is probably made out of safer material than an actual sitdrag

Its all from my old military gear. used an old gear bag I had and took some webbing from some Parachute rigging I had and eyeballed it all. made 2 of them. Bought a speedy stitch. so $20 in all

Back