• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First time Bowfishing for Carp

ADKMtnTrapper

I went out last week with a friend to shoot carp and night and MAN AM I HOOKED!!! :mrgreen:

Im ordering a rig for one of my bows and and in the works on building a platform and outrigger set for my canoe and im going to give it a shot!

Has anyone else been out, what are your thoughts?

Too many hobbies already and not enough time to do them all! :lol:

My favorite spring activity!! I got this one last week at my dad's place. We were sitting on his back porch and heard them thrashing in the shallows. I'm pretty sure I stopped mid-sentence to run grab the bow.
eda30c2c4205085115d7dcb5ab7987ee.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love bow fishing especially for red fish in the marsh. But we usually just stay close to home and shoot gar in the swamps. I have a light system on my boat and use to go all the time when I had a Gatortail motor. Hadn't been since I got an outboard.

Nice pics.

I shot some flounder, mullet and sheephead when I lived in FL. It was a lot of fun for sure.

That gator doesn't look like an 11 footer to me. I would have guessed 9. That was another fun critter to hunt. I'm happy to heading back south!

Lol, not sensitive at all here. The gator was 9'2". We draw tags somewhere every year, it's a blast.

Lovin all the pics im trying to rig my canoe for it so i can go whenever i want. I almost got the kinks worked out. Id like to get it done by this weekend!

Heres a few from my outing:

297d32bf356632acdbc97ef1cd09fa91.jpg

ec45258d1a0b6b5d20f3664852dd6aff.jpg

6504ef8dd3a5bbcf44649862ccf39ee8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

redsquirrel said:
So what do you guys do with the carp?
Here in Ga. we scale the carp first. Then nail it to a 2x4 and turn it slowly over an open fire for a bit. Then throw it in the trash and eat the 2x4

huck72412 said:
redsquirrel said:
Here in Ga. we scale the carp first. Then nail it to a 2x4 and turn it slowly over an open fire for a bit. Then throw it in the trash and eat the 2x4

:lol: :lol: :lol: and that is why I asked!

Re: RE: Re: First time Bowfishing for Carp

huck72412 said:
redsquirrel said:
Sounds fishy to me.
I was reluctant to open this when I could see the first little bit about"slowly roasting".
I shoulda known you had more sense than to eat these.
Then again, I've also hard of people eating gar. I don't know why anyone would, but. .. to each his own I guess

We do have fun catching em though. They fight pretty good.
I really need to go bow fishing. Pretty sure I'd be hooked

Haha thats how we cook them up north too!

Im pretty sure they tell you not to eat them because they are nottom feeder and tend to have high levels of toxins in them.

I suggest if you plan on getting into it to buy the AMS PRO rig kit. It costs about 130 and its worth ever penny you get the reel, a rest and 2 arrows. Everything you need to get the ball rolling!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back