• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Float tubes for access

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Has anyone done this?

I'm not concerned with getting deer out on them but I was thinking they could provide a nice stealthy entry in small streams/rivers and they are smaller/lighter/cheaper than even a small kayak..

I posted on another thread my plan for an out of state hunt where I don't want to tow a boat. I plan to pack one of these in and blow it up on the edge of the creek and then traverse across to an island. It can hold ~200lbs
fca6cb71bfbf72e23c131cd568bcc6fb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't know anyone that has done it. You will get wet from the seat down. A wetsuit would work but waders would be a lot to try to kick to propel the tube. I've fished from one before it's easy to move it wearing scuba fins.

I've used one and regularly use one for back country fishing adventures since it is easily carrier on my back in an inflated condition. You need fins to move fast across open water. For hunting, I generally only use mine as a safety device when wearing waders. They'll catch you in the event you hit some deeper than expected water (eg beaver channel).

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Oh man! This reminds me of a hunt story.
Was hunting with a buddy in the atchafaylaya basin in La. Morning hunt. He points the boat into some button woods. Says, see that dinghy. Put your knees on each side and your bow on the front and paddle through the opening in the middle of the raft until you come out in a canal. Cross the canal and I got a stand on the ridge. Uhhh ok! Lol
It was just a styrofoam rectangle about 4 ft x 3ft with no center. Just the outer edge of a rectangle. Lol
Didn't see a deer but he got me to bring his stand back for him.....lol learned a lot on that hunt. Hahahaha

I posted on another thread my plan for an out of state hunt where I don't want to tow a boat. I plan to pack one of these in and blow it up on the edge of the creek and then traverse across to an island. It can hold ~200lbs
fca6cb71bfbf72e23c131cd568bcc6fb.jpg

There's a "blowup joke" somewhere waiting to respond to this post. I just can't think of a good one...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a "blowup joke" somewhere waiting to respond to this post. I just can't think of a good one...

Out of state packing and blowing on the edge of a creek and you couldn't come up with one joke.

Yeah the door was left wide open on this one...geez I didn't think that through lol

Go on Kijiji and get yourself a used tandem yak.

Long ago, but not too far away, I used to fish & duck hunt out of a #3 washtub squeezed inside a tractor inner tube. A short board for a seat and a short paddle made for years of interesting memories.

Go on Kijiji and get yourself a used tandem yak.

I have a kayak. But it is a 12 footer and that gets a little large for small streams and rivers, plus its 54 pounds. I am considering getting a tiny kayak for something like this but I want to explore my options. I have a ton of places where I can pop into a trout stream next to parking access and cruise up or down the river to spots.

Just don't do like the people from Michigan and float down the river expecting it to circle back around to the starting point.
Do you plan to wear waders?

Just don't do like the people from Michigan and float down the river expecting it to circle back around to the starting point.
Do you plan to wear waders?
It all depends on what I decide to do. If I just get a small kayak no. Float tube, yes.

I'm pretty big so a 12 footer is small for me. If it's a sit on top I can pretty much guarantee water would be coming through the scuppers and my but would be wet. I have used a cheap sit in kayak that was 10' long. It was nice to turn around compared to my 14 footer. It was a dry ride compared to my sit on. The main thing I'm unsure of is getting in and out on steep banks and even more fun if wearing rubber boots. If going the inflatable route I've always liked the looks of the inflatable pontoons with tubular frame foot pegs and oars. They weigh about the same as the lighter kayaks.

I totally misunderstood. I was thinking you were using a belly boat.

Long ago, but not too far away, I used to fish & duck hunt out of a #3 washtub squeezed inside a tractor inner tube. A short board for a seat and a short paddle made for years of interesting memories.
That is how my family built out first ones in the 50s. An inner tube, some rope, and a snowshoe.

Back