• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Forgot how hard splicing rope is.....

flinginairos

Vendor Rep
I must have felt like cussing/sweating and making blisters on my hands because I decided it would be a fun project to make a new tether out of some Samson Predator. Boy, this stuff is NOT easy to splice but I got er done on the first try lol. That will be the last one!!
b54ec2953b068606d4aebe46a137c8bd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks good. I like the bigger loop it's much more user friendly than a tight eye loop. On a scale of 1 to 10 how would you rate the difficulty level on splicing the predator rope?

Nice. I'm hoping to get a predator bridge with sewn loops soon. It's been tough to find online

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Man I just watched a video of a guy splicing a rope on YouTube. I was thinking I'd like to to try that. All I can say now is, AH HELL NO!!! I don't know which was driving me more insane, his background music or him working with this rope. I'll just tie a knot thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How in the world are you getting the core back past the crossover point???? Am I not cussing loud enough!?!

This splicing thing sure is "fun"....

Looks good. I like the bigger loop it's much more user friendly than a tight eye loop. On a scale of 1 to 10 how would you rate the difficulty level on splicing the predator rope?

I'd say a solid 10 the cover is very tight and getting core back in and past the Y of the splice is super tough. Burying the splice was no picnic either! I had to hang the rope from a steel beam in my house and make a foot loop with a caribiner on the loop I was splicing and literally jump in the foot loop with all my weight to bury it.

How in the world are you getting the core back past the crossover point???? Am I not cussing loud enough!?!

This splicing thing sure is "fun"....

Easton Axis arrow that I cut down into a "fid". One end is cut at an angle and tapered to a point. I feed that through the cover (which is a real $@&$&!!) then I feed a wound guitar string through the arrow shaft as a wire grab. Then pull for all your worth while wrapping the guitar string around your hand and it will come through. I'll have to take some pics of my set up

Man I just watched a video of a guy splicing a rope on YouTube. I was thinking I'd like to to try that. All I can say now is, AH HELL NO!!! I don't know which was driving me more insane, his background music or him working with this rope. I'll just tie a knot thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Look up "New England rope splicing" best video there is. Follow that and you should be good. I hadn't spliced in over a year so needed a refresher course on it so I followed along with the video lol

I must have felt like cussing/sweating and making blisters on my hands because I decided it would be a fun project to make a new tether out of some Samson Predator. Boy, this stuff is NOT easy to splice but I got er done on the first try lol. That will be the last one!!
b54ec2953b068606d4aebe46a137c8bd.jpg

I second that, complete with blisters!

20170914_202935.jpg

Made my first attempt on bandit today. Didn't turn out...but learned some lessons. I'm confident my next attempt will be a success.

Major lesson learned today...don't use electrical tape. You just as well put brakes on the end of the core you're trying to push through. Swithed to masking/painters tape and it was night and day difference how the core pushed through. Of course by that time I had messed with it enough to screw up the splice overall.

Made my first attempt on bandit today. Didn't turn out...but learned some lessons. I'm confident my next attempt will be a success.

Major lesson learned today...don't use electrical tape. You just as well put brakes on the end of the core you're trying to push through. Swithed to masking/painters tape and it was night and day difference how the core pushed through. Of course by that time I had messed with it enough to screw up the splice overall.

What are you taping? The crossover point before burying the splice? I take dental floss and wrap it tightly around the crossover point so it doesn't bunch up when burying the splice. Whatever is hanging out after i'm done I just snip it off. Another thing that helps.....spit on it! LOL. I swear it helps get that last little bit when you are struggling.

What are you taping? The crossover point before burying the splice? I take dental floss and wrap it tightly around the crossover point so it doesn't bunch up when burying the splice. Whatever is hanging out after i'm done I just snip it off. Another thing that helps.....spit on it! LOL. I swear it helps get that last little bit when you are struggling.
I had the end of the core taped. Was using a wire hanger bent in half like a Bobby pin to pull the core thru. Worked pretty slick once I changed tape.

Finally had the opportunity to give splicing another go...

Attempt 2 wasn't pretty. Rushed a little too much.

Attempt 3 was slick though and turned out as it was supposed to. Takes some work...but the end result is awesome!
28a0141985784bd9113b3dda21bbdf28.jpg

Back