• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Found some beds...

cozy23

We had a decent snow yesterday so I took the opportunity to do some scouting at the WMA at the end of my road.

I have sole access into the WMA at the end of my road. Everyone else has to walk over a mile or boat in to get where I enter.

Anyways I hunted on the side of this hill twice last weekend overlooking the river bottom. Today I stumble upon 2 beds right behind where I was set up last weekend.

Also found a solo bed on the other side of the hill at the top of the draw.

Pretty interesting to see this. I always assumed they bed in the thickest nastiest stuff around. But the ones I found today were both at the top or at the top 1/3 of a hill watching rather open areas. This confirms what Dan Infalt and The Hunting Public describe.

Gotta be careful on my entries out there next year.

Anybody got pics of more beds?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
9a70f740ccf7e658fcf7c85cd094ba3c.jpg

Last edited:
I see them bed exactly like that all the time. That’s what makes it so hard to get in close to them bedded in hill country. They are usually watching the more open areas below them. It can be done though with some planning. Early season is easier as well when there is more tree cover to conceal your movements

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been doing the same thing the last few weekends. Just recently discovered Hunting Beast, using some of Dan's techniques this season will be a game changer

Most that I found were just like what you described. This one was on a small ridge, overlooking an open marsh area. Lots of rubs leading to/from the bed. Found several others just like it

20180120_120831.jpg

Here is a bed I found in Nov on my rifle hunt up north
Not quite what you were talking about...

Attachments

• moose bed 2.gif
    moose bed 2.gif
    345.9 KB · Views: 80
Man, I wish we had more snow! I took advantage of some snow we had this year and went scouting and it was definitely the coolest thing I've ever done scouting wise. You could see all of the movement. Every step, bed, pee, poop, just awesome experience. IT was a very educational scouting trip for me.

We had a decent snow yesterday so I took the opportunity to do some scouting at the WMA at the end of my road.

I have sole access into the WMA at the end of my road. Everyone else has to walk over a mile or boat in to get where I enter.

Anyways I hunted on the side of this hill twice last weekend overlooking the river bottom. Today I stumble upon 2 beds right behind where I was set up last weekend.

Also found a solo bed on the other side of the hill at the top of the draw.

Pretty interesting to see this. I always assumed they bed in the thickest nastiest stuff around. But the ones I found today were both at the top or at the top 1/3 of a hill watching rather open areas. This confirms what Dan Infalt and The Hunting Public describe.

Gotta be careful on my entries out there next year.

Anybody got pics of more beds?

9a70f740ccf7e658fcf7c85cd094ba3c.jpg

I find alot of beds like this in Ohio, especially if there is human access below. I killed a buck 3 years ago that was bedding like that in the open above the main access trail. I found where he was j hooking to enter the bed on a north wind and waited until I had a day where it was overcast and I had the moon in my favor for a late return to bed and I ended up killing him at 1st light. That was on Oct 1 and its still the only buck I've killed on a morning sit outside of rut.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1516059424021_crop_200x200.jpg
    FB_IMG_1516059424021_crop_200x200.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 39
They like to bed high in hill country with the wind at their backs so they can smell behind them and see below them. They will often bed at the edges of thick cover that is on a ridge top. That thick stuff makes it hard for anything to sneak up on them.

Love heading up north this time of year for just this purpose! Found 2 nice buck beds , and one rather large doe bedding area. Can't wait to get back up there next month, a few more spots to check out.

I also found a buck bed in the same area but right next to the river. He's literally laying at the edge of the river watching and smelling the entire river bottom.

Love heading up north this time of year for just this purpose! Found 2 nice buck beds , and one rather large doe bedding area. Can't wait to get back up there next month, a few more spots to check out.

Did you leave a TC in place?

I was out yesterday post season scouting and found some good bedding locations and lots of other good sign.
7f4f3d234f89e17548ed216613cfce00.jpg
dc1f57abdf0e5fa22e55ec8c63b2b0b6.jpg
906ad5b725327799b7d3aa58584b5c2b.jpg
9a9789af37a727ab4a72298d3188714d.jpg
3dfd7cc494d6c5e395a6080f0f7f522c.jpg

I think you’re going to be after a giant next year. Btw how high off the ground was the rub?
And anything else to the beds? Ie hair, tracks, etc

I think you’re going to be after a giant next year. Btw how high off the ground was the rub?
And anything else to the beds? Ie hair, tracks, etc

That was the best rub I've found so far this year it was past knee high maybe 2' or better....
867bf25605f90a6afc3c0baceff547ba.jpg
yep I always look for hair to confirm my suspicion if the bed is less defined.... some of the beds I found I know were does and maybe immature bucks but I found some that just seemed right for a big buck to hide

Did you leave a TC in place?
Not this last trip. Next trip will speed scout two more spots, then my last trip up in May I will leave a few till November.

Back