• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Frame packs

BenG

Anyone have any good frame pack advice or recommendations? My system really falls apart when it gets cold and I need to bring layers and change at the tree on far or difficult entries. Plus I usually one stick and I get too sweaty doing that when it’s cold also so I want to carry 4 sticks now. I was looking at the molle frame thinking I’d like to get two sticks on each side and a pack and platform in the middle. I want to try to figure out a way also to put the pack on and remove the sticks as I climb. Does the comfort of the frame make up for the extra weight? What do you do with the frame when in the tree? Also, anyone know of any non-frame or internal frame packs that are good options for 4 sticks and a platform?

Kifaru.net I have their tac frame and mountain warrior bag for my deployment ruck. As far as frame packs go this is the only one I would use. Extremely comfortable and ridiculously strong. They make all different kinds of bags, plus a cargo panel and cargo net that go right onto the frame. Check them out.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I bought an Ox by badlands last year. I really loaded it up as I did not discover saddles. My climber- heater body bag and excessive gear probaly wieght 50+ pounds
d50382e9e1a02e168ecd65db1a05b50b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought an Ox by badlands last year. I really loaded it up as I did not discover saddles. My climber- heater body bag and excessive gear probaly wieght 50+ pounds
d50382e9e1a02e168ecd65db1a05b50b.jpg

I have the same frame, but have yet to use it. There was rumors that badlands was coming out with a pack to attach to it, butt I haven't seen it yet.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Kifaru.net I have their tac frame and mountain warrior bag for my deployment ruck. As far as frame packs go this is the only one I would use. Extremely comfortable and ridiculously strong. They make all different kinds of bags, plus a cargo panel and cargo net that go right onto the frame. Check them out.

Kifaru packs are awesome, but I doubt most guys will want to spend that kind of money for just a deer hunting pack. I have the Hunter frame and Reckoning bag/lid and love it. I got mine for some western trips I have planned so I figured i'd buy once and be done for a while lol.

If you are just looking for customizability I would get a molle II frame with shoulder straps and a waist belt. Can be found on ebay for about $40. Then you can pretty much pick and choose from tons of bags, pouches, add-ons, etc.

Obviously not purpose built for packing out hundreds of lbs of meat in the backcountry, but for what you'll be doing I don't see why you need a several hundred dollar pack.

It sounds like you already see the answer. The frame is overkill unless you need to haul heavy loads. I would get a backpack with "wings" that woods all your gear and compresses down to little when unloaded and hanging in the tree.

Frames are handy though. Especially with a freighter shelf. I primarily use mine for hauling heavy loads of bear bait with a 13 gallon garbage can.
5b2ece3ed0e03026e068711dddb8fe21.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, the kifaru does look nice but a little too much of an investment for me at this time. I’m still a little torn between regular pack or frame. One of the reasons I was thinking a frame was I saw a video of a guy using the stick talons with a stand where he just climbed with the stand on his back and reached back to remove the sticks. I think he was actually the inventor of them. But anyway, I thought I might be able to rig up a molle frame to be able to do this. With a regular pack I assume the best way to carry sticks while climbing would be to bring a shoulder strap. I may have to wait a bit yet anyway to see what new platforms come out too to see exactly what I’ll be carrying.

Thanks guys, the kifaru does look nice but a little too much of an investment for me at this time. I’m still a little torn between regular pack or frame. One of the reasons I was thinking a frame was I saw a video of a guy using the stick talons with a stand where he just climbed with the stand on his back and reached back to remove the sticks. I think he was actually the inventor of them. But anyway, I thought I might be able to rig up a molle frame to be able to do this. With a regular pack I assume the best way to carry sticks while climbing would be to bring a shoulder strap. I may have to wait a bit yet anyway to see what new platforms come out too to see exactly what I’ll be carrying.
If you do end up interested in purchasing a kifaru system, check the classifieds in rokslide.com and kifaruforums.net You can catch great deals on the previous generations of frames. The good thing about them is any pack kifaru has ever made will fit any frame they have made, and if their name is on it, they will take care of it no matter when you bought it.

Camofire often has the SJK rail hauler on. There are a couple of versions that show up.

You might get a good deal there

Reactions: Pxt

Some one found a bracket that holds a 1” square metal tube on here. You could DIY those brackets to a frame pack.

You can also look at EXO and Mystery ranch. I have an EXO and love it, I'll probably use it on some deep hunts where I'll hopefully have to haul out some meat. I can't speak for MR a I don't have one but from what I can tell they are good packs. Check out blackovis.com or keep and eye on Camo fire, they have some good deals pop up often. I also have a badlands super day pack and its nice... it can hold a lot and you can also strap extra stuff to it. I would definitely check them out, they also have an unconditional lifetime warranty which is very hard to beat. I think what I'm gonna do as far as the sticks go is something similar to what @Boudreaux does... it seems simple and efficient enough.

@BassBoysLLP I have that same frame, that thing isn't fancy but it by god gets the job done lol

You can also look at EXO and Mystery ranch. I have an EXO and love it, I'll probably use it on some deep hunts where I'll hopefully have to haul out some meat. I can't speak for MR a I don't have one but from what I can tell they are good packs. Check out blackovis.com or keep and eye on Camo fire, they have some good deals pop up often. I think what I'm gonna do as far as the sticks go is something similar to what @Boudreaux does... it seems simple and efficient enough.

@BassBoysLLP I have that same frame, that thing isn't fancy but it by god gets the job done lol
Yeah, it definitely isn't fancy but I've thrown 110 lbs on the back and been comfortable. I'm looking forward to bear season. Less than a week to go.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mystery Ranch Popup is what I am going to this season, it is perfect for my needs. I think you could certainly make the Molle work too if you are exclusively using it for deer hunting.

Attachments

• 20180316_165137.jpg
    20180316_165137.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 103
Kifaru has a lot of options as well. I will be running a 22mag on a 22" frame this year - seems like about the perfect size for eastern hunting. I can't haul as much as with a 24" frame, but I doubt I can max out the 22 anyway, and it is way easier to move through thicker stuff with the 22.

I actually bought a mystery ranch crew cab, and a couple Eberlestock packs. They were great, but total overkill for 99% of my hunts. I ended up selling them because I couldn't justify the price.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

Back