• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Garmin Xero Auto Ranging Bow Site

I just watched videos on this. Its cool but once again it all comes down to how well you shoot just like any other bowsight but a range finder built in is a cool feature.

I think it’s cool, but even if it was $100 I’m probably not a taker. I like the flexibility of just ranging spots around & not adding any extra when the shot opportunity presents itself. I love gadgets just not this one.

What should also be taken into account is that your grip will be affected as well since it has a push button to activate it. That would mean slightly altering ones grip temporarily at full draw. I have a light i use on coons and predators that works the same way. It can sometimes effect a shot that under normal conditions would be a perfect one

As cool as that looks and as much as I want one, it would be my luck that it would malfunction when I needed it the most.

Me and electronics don't get along well. I'm gonna stick to pins for now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm sticking with pins for a few more years until the prices come down and competitors enter the market. But this is the new standard. Eventually, this site will do to fixed pin sites what compound bows did to recurve and longbows.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

Last edited:
I'm sticking with pins for a few more years until the prices come down and competitors enter the market. But this is the new standard. Eventually, this site will do to fixed pin sites what compound now's did to recurve and longbows.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.
This is what draws me back to recurves and long bows. Somewhere along the way archery was lost and replaced with "pull the trigger".

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I stopped carrying a rangefinder half the time because I don't shoot more than 20-25 yards. I will say it is very cool technology. I don't know at what point the line gets drawn though.

I wouldn't be surprised to start seeing more states outlaw these bow-mounted range finder at some point. I haven't read through all the regs in a few years, but I don't think this would be legal in my state right now.

I use a pendulum bow sight. I can shoot out to 35 yards and be dead on. My sight was made by Trophy Ridge and it can be locked down and it becomes a moveable sight for ground shooting. To bad they stop making them. So there is no way I would spend that much on a sight when I could use that money for something useful.

Just an fyi but i saw that IQ bow sites also came up with something similar. I know this isnt for me as it steers archery away from archery.

I stopped carrying a rangefinder half the time because I don't shoot more than 20-25 yards. I will say it is very cool technology. I don't know at what point the line gets drawn though.

I wouldn't be surprised to start seeing more states outlaw these bow-mounted range finder at some point. I haven't read through all the regs in a few years, but I don't think this would be legal in my state right now.
It would be legal in Pa as long as it doesn't cast a visible light on your target. We can use lighted pins .

cool idea but I already have a range finder. Plus that range finder costs much more than my bow.

I think this is great. I also don't believe it gives you any unfair advantages. The Xero has re-imagined the process of ranging animals and simplified the way we aim. Leupold did a clunky version of this years ago with their Vendetta bow mounted range finder.

If anything, it helps you make a more ethical shot by not guessing at yardages and pins. You still have to practice. You still have to hold steady. You still have to pick the right shot at the right angle. You still have to squeeze your release aid and not torque your bow hand. You still have to keep the proper form and keep your nerves in check. It doesn't shoot the arrow for you.

When I get in a tree, I range a bunch of different reference points. I don't want to rely on my range finder during the shot because it often times happens so fast. But to have the range finder at full draw makes me a much more ethical shooter in my opinion. I'm not guessing anymore.

All that said, I'm not going to buy one until a competitor enters the market and drives the price way down. I'd be willing to pay $300ish for this.

I think it looks pretty awesome. I'd love to try it. Won't hate on it until I have on in my hands and have given it a thorough review.

Iq bowsites has also got something similar but not as technologically built. Price point is also lower. For me I worry also about glare but im sure it could be fixed with some sort of sun shade!!

Back