• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Gear Reviews

d_rek

Always liked gear reviews on sites like Hunting Beast and the MI sportsman forum. Would be great to see something like that here for gear that the saddle hunter is looking for / using. I see a lot of people asking questions about climbing options - sticks, clibm paws, pegs, etc. Obviously it can encompass just about anything but I think it would help a lot of saddle hunters to put all of their experience with various gear in the same boat.

We could even propose a review format. Something Along the lines of:

MSRP/Purchased Price: $$$/$$$
Where bought: Sporting Goods Store
Initial Impressions: It's nice, high quality, cheap, etc.
Quality: Poor/Fair/Excellent
Features: Poor/Fair/Excellent
Ease-of-Use: Poor/Fair/Excellent
Field-tested? Yes/No
Follow Up: 3 mos/6 mos/1yr
Additional Notes: Etc, etc.

Obviously this is just guidelines to get us started. You're free to elaborate on any of the sections for the review. Pictures, maybe not entirely mandatory, should maybe be requisite too.

I always look for the most honest, real reviews when trying to dig up information about hunting products. A score (4/5) means relatively little to me, because it's very easy to skew review scores for items sold in big box online stores. I think forums are a great way to get honest feedback on products, and i'd love to see a section for product reviews here.

This is a great idea, I was thinking about the exact same thing. I will put a section together for gear reviews.

Back