• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Glossary of abbreviations for newbs

davesonic444

I am new hear and see a lot of rock climbing abbreviations (i think) i have no idea what some of them are. It would be very helpful if someone pinned a glossary somewhere easy to find.
Thanks
Dave

I am new hear and see a lot of rock climbing abbreviations (i think) i have no idea what some of them are. It would be very helpful if someone pinned a glossary somewhere easy to find.
Thanks
Dave
What terms are you referring to?

Lb is linemans belt
Aides is a rope ladder that is normally attached to the bottom of sticks to gain extra height.

There are so many different ones, the best way is probably to google them. If that doesn't work, just ask. The guys on this site are nice and always willing to help :D.

ATC- black diamond rappel device
atc67.jpg

bight (as in figure 8 on a bight): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bight_(knot) :a curved section or slack part between the two ends of a rope

LB = lineman's belt

aider or etrier:
Vas%20ETRIER%20-%20AIDER%204%20-%205.jpg

Back