• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Good starter pack

bigcat93

SH Member
Yo guys! Looking to get into some hiking and backcountry camping, sticking close by NJ to get my feet wet so not necessarily hunting. Was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for a good 1-3 day pack that is mid range in cost, and efficient.

I keep being impressed by Tenzing. There is some smart engineering going on. They have quiet fabric as well which might be a consideration if you double duty it as a hunting pack.

For regular backpacks, Osprey is an excellent choice. It'll be around $300 but you won't regret it.

I have an osprey day pack, have used it for about 8 years or so, only damage is purely cosmetic. I was really impressed with my friends osprey.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I have a KUIU Icon Pro 3200 and I could get 3-5 days from it if I packed right. I'm no pro tho lol. Just started getting into it. The Osprey packs are nice for the money also if you don't need meat hauling. My wife has one and it seems very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a stone glacier pack. You might want to spend time on the rokslide forum, they have endless information about this stuff there. I figured the guys out west were the backcountry experts so I could learn from them. Also it is easier to leave a little extra room in a larger pack than not have enough room. With some of these packs there is not a huge weight difference going up in size to the next bag.

I own Osprey and ULA packs.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my ULA Ohm 2.0. It is a FANTASTIC pack. Take a look at ULA and their customer reviews. They are a great balance of capability and light weight. The packs are not meant for heavy loads, so if you're planning on carrying the kitchen sink (or an elk quarter) they wouldn't be for you.

So after looking at all the packs you guys suggested, i think without the hunting aspect I really like the osprey packs but I'm stuck between the Volt 60, and the Kestrel 58.

For those who have had experience with Osprey, any tips?

Oh you have to get the kestrel 58 it's meant to be
It will go perfectly with a new kestrel from New Tribe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back