• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

GPS Apps vs. Standalone GPS

IkemanTX

I have heard a lot of talk on other forums lately comparing GPS brand, units etc... I am trying to figure out the strengths and weaknesses of using standalone units verses phone apps. I have, for the past 3 years, been using whatever iPhone I happen to own in conjunction with two apps.

The two apps that I use are
MotionX-GPS and MeasureMap

MotionX-GPS essentially acts like my actual GPS unit. It can record tracks, save waypoints (with pictures), save bing maps tiles for offline use, save topo maps for offline use, and export to email in GPX or KML formats with no hardware needed.
f02363dad877e27a89ee2e212119d7f8.jpg

fa6e4625ce4a04fdde23a77ced65b0b9.jpg

MeasureMap is what I use to have a more up to date aerial photo of the area, with my location showing on the app. It is the only App I have found that downloads google earth tiles for offline use, and full resolution google earth tiles can be invaluable when trying to find transitions or to even pick out a specific tree as a landmark. This app allows you to mark places on the map and measure their distance apart, as well as draw a polygon of any shape to find exact acres of an area. I have found it to be extremely accurate for distance measurements, and invaluable in the field.
b61925327063882c4b800eb86ed1194a.jpg

3804d10d758df1428ed1f93a59abc73d.jpg

Between these two apps, I am really finding it hard to justify spending $200-$400 for a handheld GPS. I know my phone has some drawbacks... battery life isn't that great when operating with GPS enabled (I typically carry a backup battery anyways), it can take a couple minutes to acquire satellites to get a strong enough GPS signal to start, and I'm guessing that the GPS receiver in my phone won't be quite as accurate as a handheld. But, is it inadequate enough to justify the expense of a new unit? What pros and cons do you guys see between the two options? What other phone apps might you use instead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have heard a lot of talk on other forums lately comparing GPS brand, units etc... I am trying to figure out the strengths and weaknesses of using standalone units verses phone apps. I have, for the past 3 years, been using whatever iPhone I happen to own in conjunction with two apps.

The two apps that I use are
MotionX-GPS and MeasureMap

MotionX-GPS essentially acts like my actual GPS unit. It can record tracks, save waypoints (with pictures), save bing maps tiles for offline use, save topo maps for offline use, and export to email in GPX or KML formats with no hardware needed.
f02363dad877e27a89ee2e212119d7f8.jpg

fa6e4625ce4a04fdde23a77ced65b0b9.jpg

MeasureMap is what I use to have a more up to date aerial photo of the area, with my location showing on the app. It is the only App I have found that downloads google earth tiles for offline use, and full resolution google earth tiles can be invaluable when trying to find transitions or to even pick out a specific tree as a landmark. This app allows you to mark places on the map and measure their distance apart, as well as draw a polygon of any shape to find exact acres of an area. I have found it to be extremely accurate for distance measurements, and invaluable in the field.
b61925327063882c4b800eb86ed1194a.jpg

3804d10d758df1428ed1f93a59abc73d.jpg

Between these two apps, I am really finding it hard to justify spending $200-$400 for a handheld GPS. I know my phone has some drawbacks... battery life isn't that great when operating with GPS enabled (I typically carry a backup battery anyways), it can take a couple minutes to acquire satellites to get a strong enough GPS signal to start, and I'm guessing that the GPS receiver in my phone won't be quite as accurate as a handheld. But, is it inadequate enough to justify the expense of a new unit? What pros and cons do you guys see between the two options? What other phone apps might you use instead?

I have a Garmin 64. What you have seems impressive. If you need extra batteries for your phone you can carry something like this to keep you warm and or charge your phone. I will have to look at these apps on my iphone

iHateTheCold Rechargeable Reusable Maxi Silver 8800mAh USB Hand Warmer / External Battery Pack / Power Bank / USB Charger for smartphone and tablet / LED flashlight and Strobe Light

by ihatethecold
29 customer reviews

| 3 answered questions

Price: CDN$ 39.00 Free Shipping for Prime Members

• Aircraft grade aluminium casing heats up to keep your hands warm
  • SafeTemp automatically regulates and throttles temperature for a more even heat, and no fear of overheating. Two temperature settings: low 41c (about 8 hours runtime) and high 49c (about 7 hours runtime) when in room temperature
  • Rechargeable 8800mah lithium-ion battery charge your smartphone and electronic devices. Your hand warmer doubles as a power bank
  • 12 month warranty - your satisfaction is guaranteed!
  • Powerful 1W LED flashlight and strobe light to find your way in the dark

I just recently learned that your smartphones GPS is basically as good (sometimes better) than a handheld. But to get the most benefit you HAVE to download maps to your phone.

My problem was I was expecting to get full GPS functionality with high-fedlity maps while in the field... not the case when you lose connectivity. You're basically in the dark even though technically your GPS is still functioning (it works even while in airplane mode). You have to have the maps downloaded locally on your phone, otherwise it might become a $700 brick in the field.

Of course battery life is an issue, but backups are cheap enough these days. I keep one in my pack and can get 3 full charges for my iphone 7 with it.

Flipside, a dedicated GPS you don't have to worry about cellular connectivity ever, though you still you have to manage and maintain a seperate device. I also like the GPS is super rugged... I still fairy-finger my phone though because i don't want my $800 smartphone to get busted up in the field.

I recently bought a garmin oregon 600 + onX hunt maps because the price was right ($100 for the GPS and had a gift card i used for the maps... so less than $200 total). I like that the device is a dedicated GPS and I don't have to worry about my phone in the field. The onX maps also turbocharge the GPS, though I have heard that there are great maps available from gpsfiledepot.com too.

Actually i plan on testing both in the field this spring when scouting. I'll report back when i've made a thorough comparison.

I prefer a phone when I know I won't have issues with battery life or reception, like if I'm deer hunting around home.

A prime example of when I'll use the handheld is backpack hunting or camping. Usually big country, cell phone might not get a great GPS signal in between big ridgelines, and I'd prefer to have a constant breadcrumb trail on a device running off disposable lithiums so if they die, I can pop new ones in. Having my cell phone recording a constant GPS track is very battery consuming and would require several heavy battery banks on a multi-day trip.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The signal issue is a mute point now for me, since both of the apps I have allow offline viewing of previously downloaded info. I have to have MotionX-GPS to do all the waypoints, but MeasureMap is my favorite. If google earth updates its imagery, I can have it on my phone for offline use the same day.

In fact, I typically do a scouting day in airplane mode.

Few years ago I was using backcountry navigator on my android and really liked it. Work then switched to iPhones and that program wasn't avail so I switched to gaia. It's less flexible but much simpler and it has a web version that syncs when you take your phone back off airplane mode. I pay the annual fee for additional layers and icons. Used it 4 weekends hunting elk in CO in addition to whitetail.

KML files are uploadable and I believe it's avail on android too.

I doubt I ever go back to a standalone gps. My spots are always backed up I. The cloud now, easy to xfer when I upgrade my hardware and when I'm board I can virtual scout my areas and sync across my laptop phone and I pad.

KML files are uploadable and I believe it's avail on android too.

I doubt I ever go back to a standalone gps. My spots are always backed up I. The cloud now, easy to xfer when I upgrade my hardware and when I'm board I can virtual scout my areas and sync across my laptop phone and I pad.

This is where I am at. I can email all of my scouting trip in 2 minutes once I get signal, it then gets downloaded on the desktop at home into its applicable folders and is permanently available in google earth pro. Heck, it even saves a timeline of the trip that I can watch as a time lapse. I am thinking that, for the price of a Mophie case, the apps are the better choice.

Also, several of the properties I hunt actually have signal and, when I have signal, I can open very large KMZ's and view them in full resolution, with my location, on google earth.
Here's an example
e7ce7a0634c0c05e9cfc67cdc506faad.jpg

I use Huntstand for wind direction and Onyx. Not sure what the best mapping apps are. I have an Android and I couldn't find Motion X-GPS. It does have MeasureMap but it doesn't have very good ratings.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I'm a stand alone GPS user (Garmin 60cx). Partially because I had the GPS well before a smartphone. I keep using it for a couple of reasons:
1) I found free topo maps on www.GPSfiledepot.com. It's the little things...and I'm cheap
2) I like to conserve my phone battery for important things like looking at saddlehunter and texting my wife to keep her happy
3) walking in to distant spots in the dark, I like the night mode (no backlight) of my gps with a dim red headlamp. It has far less impact on my night vision when compared to looking at my phone screen. I feel my phone is too bright even when the brightness is as low as it will go.

With that said, I will certainly use my phone on scouting trips to look at aerials. I typically have just used the google maps app (don't laugh!). I'm going to have to look into some of the apps you guys mentioned. But I don't see myself ditching the stand alone GPS during hunting trips anytime soon.

Back