• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

GPS what to buy?

ramjet

I'm going to buy a gps and could use some help in picking one. I have been looking at the Garmin 62 & 64 series. What about the Etrex series? Not sure about the bells and whistles that are on the different models.

If your just using the gps to get to a waypoint and back, etrex works great. Myself, I have the Magellan 500 and it's been great. I mostly use it for hunting by , marking deer sign, turkey roosts, fishing and stand locations. Then I'll be able to get back to a location when the wind is right to hunt or a certain stump to fish.
Now if your looking for more gadgets on a gps, I have no clue.

I have a Garmin.
I used to have Magellan. It was a basic B/W screen but worked great until it got too old to talk with the satellites. I bought a hunting model which I thought would be great. Turns out it had no "direct to" function. I even called to ask if I was doing something wrong. I chastised them for taking away an important function like that.
Then I bought the Garmin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a garmin oregon 600 and it's a great unit but it eats batteries like nobodies business. I was thinking of selling it an getting a different model that's easier on batteries.

My magellan did the same thing. Opened it up and there is a piece of vold aluminum foil lookimg thing inside, i smoothed ot out and it has ran every since

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I've used the Garmin 78 for both marine and hunting for several years now and I am extremely happy with it. Battery rate is much better than the oregon and you can create your own custom maps with aerials or buy topo etc. etc. Very happy with it.

I've also got an Oregon 450t with the topo maps and I love it, but the same complaint as d_rek it kills batteries. Lately, I've just been using my phone, I've got an app (US Topo Maps) and it works pretty well. I bought the "pro" version for 15. I carry a small battery pack so I can keep my phone charged.

Last edited:
I was looking into the Garmin Oregon 450t as well and then I found OnX Maps app on my phone. Does the same thing and it is free to download. Then you can buy the additional layers for whatever state you want. Works awesome.

I use the 62 and download a google earth overlay. Works great. The GPS will get signal when a phone won't sometimes

The garmin 62. It has an external antenna so it keeps signal very well in thick cover

If you have an Android device...you need to download Backcountry Navigator Pro and buy a slim backup battery pack, which you probably need anyway. Save yourself $300-500. If you'll start using Backcountry Navigator, you'll forget about having a secondary GPS. I've been using it for 4 possibly 5 years and I hunt public lands. Somedays, I can cover up to 10 miles or more. It has absolutely never failed me.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

If you have an Android device...you need to download Backcountry Navigator Pro and buy a slim backup battery pack, which you probably need anyway. Save yourself $300-500. If you'll start using Backcountry Navigator, you'll forget about having a secondary GPS. I've been using it for 4 possibly 5 years and I hunt public lands. Somedays, I can cover up to 10 miles or more. It has absolutely never failed me.

What level of map detail can you get 1:20k? Topo? Can you draw lines, measure, add points? Build routes?

I have trialled a few different apps. Backcounty nav seems to be the best, i plan on buying it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Garmin 64ST
Very happy with it... never loses signal, battery life is very good... can overlay custom maps etc.

Heck yes...you can do it all! You can select different maps from other map sources and safe them to your offline. You can export your waypoints and routes to formats that work for Google Earth. I export my waypoint/route data to a cloud everytime I go out...just to make sure everything is backed up. It will absolutely do everything!!!
5bb5d27a54fb732fb65e080ae8daa06c.jpg

I have Iphone and use HuntStand and OnX hunt and like them both.

If you go with a dedicated GPS, I'd vote Garmin 60 series....the 60, 62 are now discontinued . I have the 64 and prefer it over touch screen as I can still wear my gloves when it's cold .
Smart phones and apps also are a good choice as I use them with the satellite imagery for some scouting and back my way points to it from GPS to get a better perspective of my position from an areal veiw.

Back