• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Gps

Fi5herman

What are you guys mostly using for GPS. I would like something on my phone that uses gps not data. Also would like to drop waypiwayp and have a Google Earth type view. Is there such a app or am I asking for to much here

GPS Kit, $10 phone app. I wouldn't trade it for a $400 handheld GPS.

I used onx this year and its the first gps app ive used that can actually direct me straight to waypoints or positions on the map. The little headlight feature on your position "dot" that shows you which way your phone is pointing. Its accurate and will take you wherever you want to go in unfamiliar woods.
I never ran across that feature on previous apps (huntstand and motionx), but it alone is worth onx 30 bucks a year
Previously I always referred to the gps...then a compass

using the feature seems to be a battery hog though. I carry one of those small charging banks and a usb cord in my pack, just in case. Havent had to use it, but better safe than sorry. Carry it for fishing also...anything outdoors

Last edited:
Cell service is not needed if you preview the area that you want to be, from another location, when you do have service.
So if I have no service, I can load an area on my phone when I have service and then use the loaded data to guide in a no or poor service areas.
Some areas I hunt, thick swamps walking out at night I can get turned around and need the gps or a compass to get out. A gps is better because it allows me to follow a previous path.
I assume your phone will do that? Just wondering if that is what you are saying.

So if I have no service, I can load an area on my phone when I have service and then use the loaded data to guide in a no or poor service areas.
Some areas I hunt, thick swamps walking out at night I can get turned around and need the gps or a compass to get out. A gps is better because it allows me to follow a previous path.
I assume your phone will do that? Just wondering if that is what you are saying.
yeah
Phone gps apps get data from satellites and cell towers. The maps are gathered from web service (cell towers) Your position is gathered from satellite. Why when you lose signal on your phone, you can still see your dot on a blank screen...maps aren't loading, but phone still knows your position from satellites. Why your compass still works also, it runs off gps satellites

Yes, exactly what you said. This is an awesome app. I'm amazed at it's capabilities every time I use it. Of course, like most other technical things it does a lot more than I'm capable to understand but everyone that I've introduced the GPS Kit to has thought it was the best. You will be amazed with all that it can do. This will do everything that a hand held GPs will and more. The best part is it's only $10.

yeah
Phone gps apps get data from satellites and cell towers. The maps are gathered from web service (cell towers) Your position is gathered from satellite. Why when you lose signal on your phone, you can still see your dot on a blank screen...maps aren't loading, but phone still knows your position from satellites. Why your compass still works also, it runs off gps satellites

With the GPS Kit, once you've loaded the area when you have service it's there in it's entirety with service or without service. Can't tell the difference.

With the GPS Kit, once you've loaded the area when you have service it's there in it's entirety with service or without service. Can't tell the difference.
yeah onx and huntstand are like that too. Just save your maps and youre good to go without signal for most gps apps nowdays

....I guess your saying you don't have to go through the process of saving them though? just be in the area with service at some point? that's cool

Reactions: WHW
I got onX last spring before turkey season & absolutely love it for the cost & features it’s hard to beat.........

Onyx is good but I prefer the Gaia GPS app because you can pre download custom sized areas and you’re not stuck with downloading the tiles like Onyx has. One thing I would recommend if you’re going to use your phone for GPS is getting a backup battery pack to carry with you.

Didn't know about the phone app, wish I would have known to give it a try... I use a Garmin 64st, works great and comes with the subscription to birdseye so I downloaded all the areas I hunt and any potential areas... I bought it because the areas I hunt in Southern Ohio don't have any cell service.

My long time hunting partner bought a well know, expensive handheld GPS a year before I introduced him to the GPS Kit IPhone app . Since he bought the $10 "GPS Kit" app he no longer uses his new GPS.

HuntStand automatically saves your map layers if you have viewed them in the last 24 hours, I think, while you had service. The gps feature is run off satellite so your dot on the map always keeps you in the right place regardless of cell service. Cell service is just to capture the map. I use to use onx maps then tried HuntStand and like it better, then onx maps changed, but I never got back to it to see if I rather it.

Use the “off grid” OnX Maps feature. You can save maps and use the gps on your phone even when you don’t have signal. I also use the OnX Maps chip in my Garmin GPS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back