• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ground Blind Set Up on Bedding Entry

DaveT1963

Vendor Rep
This video shows how I set up a ground blind on a well used bedding area entry trail. I had a tree in this area last year but the wind knocked the top off the surrounding cover. So I went in a set up a ground blind with a great entry and exit strategy. This location will be good for both morning and evening hunts with my ghillie suit.

https://youtu.be/r8Y39ALi_Lc

Nice blind.
That is a nice well worn trail. Looks like if you could pull your canoe straight in there, you'd be completely invisible at all times in that brush. If the Wind is blowing towards the lake there's zero chance of being found out unless you just moved too much or made loud noise.
How far do you have to travel to get there ?if you're doing a morning hunt, do you have to stay camped nearby or is it close enough to home to get there easily? You're giving me ideas about how to hunt the big creek on my property. I've been wanting to hunt an area that I can't get into easily. Maybe a canoe would help. I'm gonna try it out and see

Shaun

Wow talk about a scent free presence! That is one heck of an entry and exit. That would make that spot a great go-to spot to help keep from sitting marginal sits or sitting other spots multiple times. Especially with that many decent bucks in the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man what a killer looking set up! I am just dying to find a place where I can access a spot like that from the water. Sadly all the places I hunt don't offer that option. Just something really cool about slipping into a spot by boat. Can't get much more stealthy than that!

I would definitely cut that little trail in for your canoe. You would be invisible to eyes, ears and most importantly, noses with the proper wind.

My goal for this season is to find 5 water entry spots. Each of the 5 spots must meet 1 or both of my criteria.

1. The stand site must be only accessible by water or incredibly difficult to access by land. For instance a hunter would have to walk (3-5 miles) and/or through some really tough topography (swamp or large hills/ravines). Think of an island or an area so remote that it never gets hunted except by boat. Up here in the NE, we have a lot of boggy nasty areas that fit this bill. And like most other areas, most guys don't see the need to put in the work to access the really difficult places.

2. Water access makes other hunters work for me in an extremely defined way. Since I hunt almost exclusively on public land, any area that has preferable food/cover will be hunted. I found one of these sites last season. There's a large tract of timber (approximately 3-4K acres) bordered by AG fields on the South. The northern end is bordered by a large lazy "U" in the river. The piece of ground gets hunted, but I seriously doubt many hunters do the 2 mile boat ride to the Northern border. The only land access is from the South and any hunters would push the deer back to my stand site against the river. When I went by boat last season, the northern end was completely shredded with buck sign. As expected, the southern looked merely like a transition zone to get to the AG fields at night.

I'm excited to put the water access into my arsenal. Now I just need to select my boat of choice. I like the NuCanoe, but it sure is pricey.

Thanks for posting the video, Dave!

The current access trail is only five yards and still isolated from deer entry by the brush. I don't think I want to cut entry trail right behind the blind as that will increase chance of skylighting my sillouette .

The nucanoe is awesome if you go that route. At least for me it has been.

I think a canoe or kayak has just moved to the #1 priority of my 2017 season list. There are just too many public access areas around north Texas and southern Oklahoma that are on a lake or river. I can think of 6 corps properties or WMA's within 2 hours of me, and that's just the Texas side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love the water set ups Dave.Water makes a great travel corridor and you don't have to worry about anything coming from behind you and blowing. Its an awesome feeling to have a deer with you at ground level. I made a ghillie suit a few years ago. It catches on everything but if you have a nice lil hole cleaned out in a ground blind like you have and put in on in there you can avoid hang ups and you become invisible. Another great post.

This is a creek we cross sometimes by pirogue. My buddy hunts across it a lot. He says he just turns his light off when he crosses. It's better to not know. Lol. It's the most populated creek I've ever seen. They don't allow alligator hunting there and they have some monstas! Some of the biggest I've ever seen. You won't see a small one. They get eaten.
The worse thing about it is the creek is narrow and there is no where for them to run so the go under your boat. Eerie feeling. We nicknamed it the Nile River.
2fba4ad8672a8c6b0292da2133277241.jpg

4766783105ab04fc7f0bf1cef3ae716b.jpg

6a8a892489486d5ccd052abeac1129d1.jpg

95c116f81a34d7501cd88061fa7baadb.jpg

cbe9f395bd9039bbefdb588232047875.jpg

2c84cff5d7a15f85e1a3215716cfaafa.jpg

13fff242fa5499b0724a1b3402eb4433.jpg

swampsnyper said:
Love the water set ups Dave.Water makes a great travel corridor and you don't have to worry about anything coming from behind you and blowing. Its an awesome feeling to have a deer with you at ground level. I made a ghillie suit a few years ago. It catches on everything but if you have a nice lil hole cleaned out in a ground blind like you have and put in on in there you can avoid hang ups and you become invisible. Another great post.

This is a creek we cross sometimes by pirogue. My buddy hunts across it a lot. He says he just turns his light off when he crosses. It's better to not know. Lol. It's the most populated creek I've ever seen. They don't allow alligator hunting there and they have some monstas! Some of the biggest I've ever seen. You won't see a small one. They get eaten.
The worse thing about it is the creek is narrow and there is no where for them to run so the go under your boat. Eerie feeling. We nicknamed it the Nile River.

:eek: :eek:
I just have to worry about bears!

swampsnyper said:

This reminds me of all my alligator hunts in the NW FL panhandle. WHAT A BLAST!

One thing that's nice about hunting the swamps and bogs up here in the NE is I don't have to worry about cottonmouths and big ol' gators!

swampsnyper said:

NOPE. You can just keep that spot. :shock:

Hahaha. Awesome. I used to paddle around in a kayak on the coast near Charleston and Savannah and we'd see these lizards(south Carolina only lets you hunt them by a lottery system which I think sucks). They never really bothered me, but I DON'T LIKE TURTLES ... they creep me out. Not a fear, more of an aversion to turtles. That creek looks awesome. No gators this far inland at home and I'm just on the outside of cottonmouth territory. But I got plenty of copperheads and rattlers. The chickens kill a Bunch of the copperheads for me though.

Shaun

Awesome setup, Dave.

Funny I have a Nile river spot in MS too.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    477.1 KB · Views: 77
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    386.6 KB · Views: 77
That's cool!! I occasionally get an opportunity to hunt in South Georgia around the Okefenokee Swamp. Beautiful place with lots of big Lizards.

I don't do gators - but I would love to hunt some with my longbow at some point. I actually had a close call last weekend. I was wading up a very dense thicket that has a bout 6 inches of water in it. This is I can see 5 feet in front of me kind of crap. Anyways, I walked right into the middle of a group of about 15 wild hogs and they came right at me. I yelled and threw my climbing sticks at the front runner and luckily they veered and went off to my left. I was screwed and got lucky plain and simple. When those mommas have piglets it is a bad situation.

DaveT what kind of guille suit are you using? I have a leafy suit but it is a little to green for deer hunting and was thinking of getting a guillie or building one

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hogs are way worse than gators as you find them everywhere not just in or near water.

Back