• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Gun Hunting from a saddle

Tim Tripoli

Just looking for suggestion from others. I am using a web, but I am sure all tips would apply.

Thanks

Tim

I have zero tips as of now, but after tomorrow’s hunt from my sit drag I will be able to say what works, or better yet, doesn’t work haha. I’m hoping that since I will be gun hunting, I will obviously be expecting shots farther than my bow, so hopefully I will have enough time before the shot that I can slowly and methodically get situated and in a good stable position since the deer will likely be a good bit farther and I can hopefully get away with more awkward movements (if need be) than I can with a deer within a few yards of me bow hunting . We shall see!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty easy. Killed a doe two seasons ago at 20 yards. You can use your bridge to brace your arm for the shot, or even the side of the tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hang your gun on opposite side of tree that you would hang your bow.

If you use some type of strap bow hanger with small hooks, (good for bow cam, not for gun shoulder strap) hook up your shoulder strap upside down on the gun, so the narrow side of shoulder strap is up and what drapes over hanger. You can still shoulder the gun walking, but muzzle will just point down...no bid deal

Just got back from my 1st saddle hunt with a gun. I made a couple stalk hunts last year with a gun and that was the 1st gun hunts in a long time. I was completely lost in the saddle with my gun. I’ve only trad bow hunted from a saddle until today. I use my grapple hook to hook my bow string and pull it up. Wasn’t sure what to do with the gun. Was scared I wasn’t gonna get a good hook on the strap so I hooked the trigger guard with the grapple hook. It worked fine but not sure I’ll be able to see the trigger guard in the morning darkness. I didn’t know where to hang it because I usually hang my bow on the tag end knot of my top tether loop. Lucky I had a branch.
Storm was coming in. Windy and heard a deer. Grabbed my gun but couldn’t find it. Then seen a squirrel so figured that was the noise. Couple minutes later I see the deer at 30 yards walking past me. It was thick but I don’t know how she got there without me seeing her. Her and the squirrel double teamed me. I’m glad it wasn’t a nice buck. Felt like suck a dummy!

I use to hunt with a gun but it's been over 15 years since I used one. I bowhunt and do use a crossbow now and then. Using a crossbow is just like using a gun. You can rest your arm on the bridge and you can use the tree to steady you gun. Really no different than a crossbow. Good luck and have fun.

Just got back from my 1st saddle hunt with a gun. I made a couple stalk hunts last year with a gun and that was the 1st gun hunts in a long time. I was completely lost in the saddle with my gun. I’ve only trad bow hunted from a saddle until today. I use my grapple hook to hook my bow string and pull it up. Wasn’t sure what to do with the gun. Was scared I wasn’t gonna get a good hook on the strap so I hooked the trigger guard with the grapple hook. It worked fine but not sure I’ll be able to see the trigger guard in the morning darkness. I didn’t know where to hang it because I usually hang my bow on the tag end knot of my top tether loop. Lucky I had a branch.
Storm was coming in. Windy and heard a deer. Grabbed my gun but couldn’t find it. Then seen a squirrel so figured that was the noise. Couple minutes later I see the deer at 30 yards walking past me. It was thick but I don’t know how she got there without me seeing her. Her and the squirrel double teamed me. I’m glad it wasn’t a nice buck. Felt like suck a dummy!

Just tie a regular rope to pull it up. Or the other end of your grapple.

I think the saddle actually shines while gun hunting. I take two ameristeps and screw them in at the proper shooting height while sitting.If you place them properly you can shoot pretty much all the way around the tree while resting on the ameristeps.I realy like it when I am set up in a thick area but have an open area to one side or behind me. It lets me cover every angle regardless of where the deer may come from.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Just tie a regular rope to pull it up. Or the other end of your grapple.

I hook my back pack and pull up 1st. Get everything situated in the tree the hook my bow or gun. So tying it off is not an option. I hooked the strap this morning. It worked fine.

I'm very new to gun hunting with the saddle. But what I did was use my pack to carry my gun up the tree on my back. My pack has a built in gun holder so it worked out nicely.

I hunt an inundated swamp so putting anything on the ground is not an option. I just sling my gun across my back and head up the tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I use the small screw in bow hanger to hang my rifle. I tried this year climbing with my backpack with rifle attached and it is a little cumbersome. I have started using two pull up ropes and tie one to rifle and one to pack. When I get up the tree I pull up my backpack and hook it into my tether. Then get my pack hanger and rifle hanger attached to tree. Then pull up my rifle hang it and relax. So far the two I have killed with rifles were within bow range but have practiced aiming out to 200 yards on does I didn’t want to shoot and it was easier than I thought. When I hear something coming I will lay my rifle across the bridge just to be ready. I try to simulate as many different shots as I can when there isn’t anything around so I will know what to do when the opportunity arises. When leaving the rifle is the last thing down the tree and I keep the pull up rope tied to me in case something shows itself on the climb down. I can usually see the but of the stock down and lean the barrel against the tree without too much effort. I don’t think you will get bench rest accuracy but better than most hang on stands and as good as climbers. Just practice aiming and figure out where you have to get or how you have to turn to make a good shot.

Back