• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Harness for one stick method

BenG

What time of harness are those of you using the one stick/aider/stirrup method using? Being comfortable stationary is easy, when trying to climb with this method not so much. I cannot win with the evolution leg straps. You need them especially for this because they keep you from sliding out but they are not only uncomfortable but can be dangerous! Almost every climbing harness I see has leg straps that tighten around the leg with a strap higher that goes to the bridge so it's not running through your crotch. I would think this HAS to be more comfortable for the one stick type of climb? I'm also curios how the kestrel performs in that department? Any thoughts or help would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!

Functional Leg Straps do make it much better. This one is great for it.
http://www.saddlehunter.com/communi...metolius-safe-tech-all-around-harness-l.3903/

But you have an EVO? Have you tried shortening the bridge all the way? It's better like that. You just have to sit back in the saddle more and not hang with you body pointing straight down.

The Kestrel works fine for this because the climb is short anyway. The kestrel has no leg straps, but that is easier because there at least isn't something in the way like on the EVO. But on the Metolius that I am selling, the Leg Straps divide the support. That harness is specifically MADE for hanging unsupported. EVO is made to keep your legs forward, Kestrel is made to use while standing/leaning on your platform.

Yeah I try not to point down, it's just not that easy when you gotta be nice and straight using the aiders or stirrups. The way the straps loosen and tighten with the weight shifting from the aider to harness is what really gives me fits, I just have to go pretty slow and be really careful about it. I just struggle with it I guess so I'm gonna have to consider other options. I'm not a large or I'd pick up the metolius your selling. I actually might order one, and a sitdrag. The reviews seemed to favor it as really good for hanging in. Or should I look into the kestrel more? Problem for me is I've already spent a ton of money on saddle stuff this year, lol! Reason #1 I'm really trying to make the saddle work for me is being lightweight, lighter than sticks. #2 and #3 are back pain and shootability. So I am committed to making it work for me just getting frustrated with my struggles.

Metolius Large is 33"-37" I think. It's nice because of the strong gear loops and the padded leg straps and full strength leg buckles. Just not as fast to get in and out of as some but that's why it is called SAFE Tech.

I went ahead and did the Kestrel because it was fewer components than a SitDrag combo.

My only complaint on the EVO at the time was that it was bigger than I wanted it to be. Sometimes I choose to hunt on the ground for all or part of the time and my Evo rig was too big to carry 'just in case'. Evo is definitely more comfortable when you figure out the adjustments. I was just ready to sacrifice that for portability.

The Kestrel really is a great balance. First few times I climbed with it, it was bad because of the "falling forward" issue. Then once I figured out I just needed to wear it low, I was happy with it.

The SitDrag is nice because you can reposition yourself in it. And I would set a little tension on my harness sometimes or even set up my linesman's belt at the same time and mamboed it pretty comfortable.

Well, I put the order in for the metolius and sitdrag. I'm a 32 so I ended up going with the medium. I'm looking forward to it, hopefully it doesn't take too long to put on lol. I think if the kestrel didn't have the metal buckles I'd be tempted to get one of those too. I'm just hoping I'll be able to sit for a long time in the sitdrag.

Im looking forward to cutting down some of the weight and bulk of the evo also.

Thanks for your help yet again dude, you're the ultralight expert

Once you get your leg buckles adjusted on the metolius it isn't bad. Especially with slip on boots. Investigate further but I was using the gear loops for my linesmans belt attachments. I doubled up and Hooked two together on both sides.

Back