• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Harnesses

SaddleMaster

What is everyone using for sit drag back up and lineman's belt attachment points? Now that we have (or almost have) another season behind us, I'm curious if anyone plans on switching up or if they're satisfied with what they're using. Adding a harness is the last piece I'm updating for my 2017 set-up.

The Black Diamond BOD and Metolius Safe Techs are popular, but I'm digging around to see what other options are out there. Here are some interesting options I've found so far.

http://www.singingrock.com/urban-2?cat=2134 (~$125)
This one has 15kN soft attachment points (not gear loops) on the sides. They are a little back, not sure if that would cause any issues.

Fusion has a couple of interesting options. They mention that their harness can be easily customized.

There are quite a few harnesses (gym and alpine) out there like this one so it's not anything special. But since they can customize, I asked if they could add soft side d's to this one. I haven't got an answer yet. Price is good to start off with.
http://www.fusionclimb.com/CentaurKratos_p_340.html ($32)

http://www.fusionclimb.com/SPARTACUS_p_15.html ($165)
I initially liked this one because it had the 2 side d's and a front d ring (unfortunately metal), but this is probably too much - too expensive, too bulky, too heavy.

What is everyone using for sit drag back up and lineman's belt attachment points? Now that we have (or almost have) another season behind us, I'm curious if anyone plans on switching up or if they're satisfied with what they're using. Adding a harness is the last piece I'm updating for my 2017 set-up.

The Black Diamond BOD and Metolius Safe Techs are popular, but I'm digging around to see what other options are out there. Here are some interesting options I've found so far.

http://www.singingrock.com/urban-2?cat=2134 (~$125)
This one has 15kN soft attachment points (not gear loops) on the sides. They are a little back, not sure if that would cause any issues.

Fusion has a couple of interesting options. They mention that their harness can be easily customized.

There are quite a few harnesses (gym and alpine) out there like this one so it's not anything special. But since they can customize, I asked if they could add soft side d's to this one. I haven't got an answer yet. Price is good to start off with.
http://www.fusionclimb.com/CentaurKratos_p_340.html ($32)

http://www.fusionclimb.com/SPARTACUS_p_15.html ($165)
I initially liked this one because it had the 2 side d's and a front d ring (unfortunately metal), but this is probably too much - too expensive, too bulky, too heavy.

I'm assuming your talking about adding a harness to a Sit and Drag? Duh. Never mind. I see you referred to that at the start of your post. My bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Dude I REALY like that singing rock harness! Not to mention 15kn is the same strength as your belay loop. If you ever experience 10kN you'll be wishing you were dead if you don't die. Just saying. But as for having a light weight option if you can get them to put D-Loops on the Centart it would be the winner since you plan to use it with the sit-drag.

Dude I REALY like that singing rock harness! Not to mention 15kn is the same strength as your belay loop. If you ever experience 10kN you'll be wishing you were dead if you don't die. Just saying. But as for having a light weight option if you can get them to put D-Loops on the Centart it would be the winner since you plan to use it with the sit-drag.
I heard back. In the mean time I found the Centaur Deluxe which has a back foam pad. They will add rated soft side d loops to these and make it all in black for $80 - 105. Here are the options on the back pads. I'm leaning towards the red one.

eca1816b88cccf15524400f0ce9f0fde.jpg

e05619ba1fd940fbbc09e3344d71d376.jpg

Sent from my LG-K120 using Tapatalk

so, is the idea that these give you added security but the Sit Drag is where your weight is being held?

That's correct. Some guys pair up a rock climbing harness (or maybe a Treehopper belt) with the sit drag in case of a bridge, sit drag, or whatever failure. The problem is rock climbing harnesses don't come with side d loops to work with a lineman's belt. So you end up modifying the harness somehow to get the loops added. Some harnesses do have rated gear loops that some guys use but that's still not optimal. So the perfect Sitdrag harness would be light weight, least amount of metal (so soft side d loops), and rated d loops that could handle a fall while using the lineman's belt. I built 2 identical lineman's belts/tethers. So when I get to height I'll tether one to the sit drag and the other to the harness. It's overkill I know, but I'll have the 2 tethers anyways so why not? I did it this year with the treehopper and it never got in the way.

That's correct. Some guys pair up a rock climbing harness (or maybe a Treehopper belt) with the sit drag in case of a bridge, sit drag, or whatever failure. The problem is rock climbing harnesses don't come with side d loops to work with a lineman's belt. So you end up modifying the harness somehow to get the loops added. Some harnesses do have rated gear loops that some guys use but that's still not optimal. So the perfect Sitdrag harness would be light weight, least amount of metal (so soft side d loops), and rated d loops that could handle a fall while using the lineman's belt. I built 2 identical lineman's belts/tethers. So when I get to height I'll tether one to the sit drag and the other to the harness. It's overkill I know, but I'll have the 2 tethers anyways so why not? I did it this year with the treehopper and it never got in the way.
I do the same, added peace of mind.
Heres a pic of my modded Alpine Bod harness. They are on sale at campsaver for like $38. So if you dont mind using a sewing awl, you can mod a Bod harness pretty cheap. The belt I sewed to it is part of the sit-drag tether, so its free. lol

I'm searching for a rock climbing harness myself and would prefer having the soft D loops on it if possible but they are hard to find so if you end up getting the modified red Centaur please post a pic :)

I do the same, added peace of mind.
Heres a pic of my modded Alpine Bod harness. They are on sale at campsaver for like $38. So if you dont mind using a sewing awl, you can mod a Bod harness pretty cheap. The belt I sewed to it is part of the sit-drag tether, so its free. lol

Very Nice Kenn, was it hard to sew the D loops on to the Alpine? Does the belt go all the way around the harness? How much material did you double back under at the loops? Also where would one get a sewing Awl and does it come with the proper thread?

I'm searching for a rock climbing harness myself and would prefer having the soft D loops on it if possible but they are hard to find so if you end up getting the modified red Centaur please post a pic :)
Here are some pics of my new harness. The loops are rated for 5k lbs. Haven't got it yet, just shipped.

26f3326424c2b917261e1601bf5dd3f7.jpg

6da08ef0df2c2159215d85ea89732949.jpg

72f6263efcdf08dea47241bde1e3786c.jpg

Here are some pics of my new harness. The loops are rated for 5k lbs. Haven't got it yet, just shipped.

26f3326424c2b917261e1601bf5dd3f7.jpg

6da08ef0df2c2159215d85ea89732949.jpg

72f6263efcdf08dea47241bde1e3786c.jpg

I'm interested in this ^^^^

I checked out the website. I can find the deluxe, but not that particular padding configuration much less the loops. What am I specifically asking for if I want to order that setup? Thanks...

I'm checking with the lady I last worked with on the order. I'll let you know as soon as I hear back.

I've got the same question. Where was this ordered from anyway?

It was ordered from www.fusionclimb.com. They will customize harnesses and this is what we came up with. I should hear back tomorrow on how to order that design.

Reactions: PJC
Back