• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Has anyone used a "Squeeze" Linesman's belt yet?

justsomedude

The one I cobbled together worked great.
It's just a short tether line running behind the tree with a Prusik/Carabiner on the right and a carabiner tied to the left.
Linesman's belt or bridge runs through the biners. downward pressure squeezes the line and grabs on quickly.
index.php

I haven't needed it for the climbing methods I have been using lately though.

This should be made with Delta Screwlinks if it was going to be sold. But note that I am using Lockers, the gates facing away from the tree, and the load is on the Spine. All of that side loading business doesn't matter unless you take a BIG Fall that isn't possible to make from a LB. Note that most locking carabiners are rated 8kn-9kn when pulled sideways.

Looks good. I have been meaning to mess with it but since getting the new Kestrel my free time has been playing with it lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's cool is you can just use your Linesman's belt for the back part and your bridge through the front.
Then when at height, you just set your tether, clip into the middle of your bridge between the biners and unhook the linesman belt and you are never unclipped.

It's pretty clean. But if you were using it to hang Climbing sticks it could get in your way depending upon how high you reach up. I haven't tried passing over a climbing stick with it to see if it is a hassle.

What's cool is you can just use your Linesman's belt for the back part and your bridge through the front.
Then when at height, you just set your tether, clip into the middle of your bridge between the biners and unhook the linesman belt and you are never unclipped.

It's pretty clean. But if you were using it to hang Climbing sticks it could get in your way depending upon how high you reach up. I haven't tried passing over a climbing stick with it to see if it is a hassle.

Sounds like it would work perfect for climbing with spikes!

Another benefit is you could get away with a shorter linemans rope since your bridge is adding length to the system. My current rope is long and doesn't pack down very well. Doing this I could probably use a rope that is half as long. Gonna give it a try!

I've just been using my tether from the ground up.
To keep it snug to the tree I passed the large loop through a small price of rubber hose to pinch the loop. This is enough to keep it snug and it's easy to loosen when I want to move it.

I had something like this in mind as a bridge/tether connection to help those with hip pinch issues.

Would have to figure a way to keep it from sliding down when unloading though

can you hang from this? or is it more of a spur thing

It's definitely structurally sound to hang from. But the reason it is made that way is so that it will release easily when unloaded. It loosens very easily plus you have the weight of two carabiners right at the loosest part.

Yeah Ive always been cautious about prusiks getting any kind of side pressure. Never read or seen evidence to tell me I should be scared of one pressing into a tree, but it worries me.
Hanging would seem to put prusik into the tree?

and by hanging I mean hanging from a belay loop, retrieving a one-stick or aider with no fail safe

If anything, I think it would make it STICK. You don't want a long prusik for this use because it would get sloppy if it was behind the tree. My prusik rope isn't the same as my line but it is still very abrasion resistant and easy enough to monitor. And if you had to change it once per season that would be a couple of dollars.

maybe you could do this with a ropeman though.
You could but I don't think you need a bunch of fine quick adjustment at that point. Maybe if your tree changed size drastically....

I now have three Ropeman 1....Tether, Linesman's and Foot Loop. It is a luxury for the Footloop to make it easier to advance the tether.

You don't think a prusik could "release" from one side pressure pushing against a tree? What I was
always worried about before I learned of ropemans

Like leaning around a tree for a shot and pressing my prusik/carabiner into tree or my pack

They are really prone to sticking. I've never had one slip at all once it has been loaded. To release one, you really need to roll it while not loaded. A French Prusik or Autoblock releases much easier

They are really prone to sticking. I've never had one slip at all once it has been loaded. To release one, you really need to roll it while not loaded. A French Prusik or Autoblock releases much easier

yeah that is one thing ive read over and over now that I think about it. once its loaded, you've got to get weight off it to release it

I bought the Buckingham tree squeeze, but haven't had a chance to use it yet. Will be checking it out soon, though. Looks like it will work out great.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Back