• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hawk Helium Stick Cutdown Question

Squirrels

Just got a set and thinking of cutting them down and using a 3 step aider on each. My question is about where to cut them down. Considering cutting them just below the middle step at the bottom of that solid section just before the slot cut out begin again. My initial plan was to cut them so the steps are at roughly 20” apart. Thing is there is more structural integrity below the middle step and I only gain a foot and half total height over 3 sticks by making them 20”.

Anybody that has cut theirs down care to chime in please. I mocked up an aider and can get 7 foot comfortably with 1 stick with the aider tied at the middle step. So my top step would put me at 21 feet if I cut them just below that middle step. I’ve already put versa buttons and rope on them, did that as soon as I opened the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got a set and thinking of cutting them down and using a 3 step aider on each. My question is about where to cut them down. Considering cutting them just below the middle step at the bottom of that solid section just before the slot cut out begin again. My initial plan was to cut them so the steps are at roughly 20” apart. Thing is there is more structural integrity below the middle step and I only gain a foot and half total height over 3 sticks by making them 20”.

Anybody that has cut theirs down care to chime in please. I mocked up an aider and can get 7 foot comfortably with 1 stick with the aider tied at the middle step. So my top step would put me at 21 feet if I cut them just below that middle step. I’ve already put versa buttons and rope on them, did that as soon as I opened the box.

Seems there was a video on helium stick mods/cut downs on here somewhere. It was fairly involved.
My question is, where can I buy a set. They seem impossible to find.

Seems there was a video on helium stick mods/cut downs on here somewhere. It was fairly involved.
My question is, where can I buy a set. They seem impossible to find.

Have a link for the video? I ordered mine through BassPro online. I've had Lone Wolf, XOP, Muddy Aerolites, and Stepp Ladder steps and the Heliums win out hands down.

Have a link for the video? I ordered mine through BassPro online. I've had Lone Wolf, XOP, Muddy Aerolites, and Stepp Ladder steps and the Heliums win out hands down.

There is a thread on here. 8 pages long with all the guys talking about where they cut them, distance between steps. References to who did what. I was just reading it. Look up Helium Stick Mods. I think that's what the thread was called.
I looked them up on Bass Pro but it wouldn't let me add them to the cart. Maybe they are out. Sportsmans Guide is out of stock.

I modified mine when they first came out and made a video, It is on the link in my signature. I have not found a better stick then helium sticks.

Hawk Helium Mods. That's the thread. I don't know how to copy a link and post it for you.

Thanks DaveT1963.

I modified mine when they first came out and made a video, It is on the link in my signature. I have not found a better stick then helium sticks.

How do I get to that link? Sorry, not forum savvy.

If I put versa buttons on my Helium sticks, what do I use for hardware? Do versa buttons come with mounting hardware if I order them from Lone Wolf?

If I put versa buttons on my Helium sticks, what do I use for hardware? Do versa buttons come with mounting hardware if I order them from Lone Wolf?

Yes sir they do. Reuse the washers off the factory brackets though.

Are the 4"x 32" stealth strips big enough to cover the Helium sticks? Or what are guys doing to silence their Helium sticks?

Are the 4"x 32" stealth strips big enough to cover the Helium sticks? Or what are guys doing to silence their Helium sticks?

Velcro brand Velcro from amazon works awesome. Only use the loop side (soft side) though.

Velcro brand Velcro from amazon works awesome. Only use the loop side (soft side) though.

Isn't that kind of expensive? Do you collect a lot of burrs?

Got my sticks cutdown and one prototype aider sewed up. 2lbs 14oz. I can get 80 inches out of stick and my two step aider. So 3 sticks will get me to 20 feet. I’ll post pics soon.

All done except paint job and some clank reducing material. Total weight for everything is 8lbs 13oz. Pretty satisfied.

047aef974a4b87e5575775e5be397255.jpg

238673c8ce7cb0da6e071b59d7e7e34e.jpg

a2a8d8c3a6e2026a8c2e2dbd838b89b5.jpg

Back