• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Heavy guy in a saddle

nateg

SH Member
I've been doing some searching and research on saddles lately and am trying to figure out which would be best. The situation is that I am about 290lbs, fairly athletic, bigger dude. With gear I will be over the 300 lb rating for the saddles that I have looked at. I have been chosen for an in town archery doe hunt so I need to be fairly mobile and I can't leave a stand hanging.

Any advice that you could give a bigger guy?

I would think New Tribe would be your best bet. But I'm a small guy so this isn't my area of expertise. Good luck!

I would call new tribe and talk to them in person to see what they say. If they don't recommend using their current saddle maybe they will at least consider making something in the future because this isn't the first time this has come up.

I am the number 1 preacher of safety on this site, but with the quality of gear that the saddle is built with and it all being climbing rated, this gear should work just as well for a 300# person as a 200# person. Climbing gear is usually rated somewhere around 5000-5000 pounds, with a 10x safety factor in there. I am not speaking for new tribe with all of these numbers, just the industy in general. I recommend calling them to speak about their saddle in particular, I think that is your best bet.

You could also call Guidos web and ask what their setup might be rated for. They make an extra large tall web for a big man. I expect it might be more comfortable for a large man. It is easier to lean against the tree with the whale tail.I am not sure what it is rated at

Looking at the new tribe site on their sizing guidelines it says that the working load is 500lbs, but they don't recommend it for people over 240lbs for comfort reasons. I'm going to look into them a little more and give them a call to see if the new version coming out in August will have any different sizes. Thanks for the help

I've been doing some searching and research on saddles lately and am trying to figure out which would be best. The situation is that I am about 290lbs, fairly athletic, bigger dude. With gear I will be over the 300 lb rating for the saddles that I have looked at. I have been chosen for an in town archery doe hunt so I need to be fairly mobile and I can't leave a stand hanging.

I have the same issue, I weigh between 277 and 285 fluctuating. I purchased a elk river platinum series tower harness to try this hunting season. It is a full body tower harness weighed at 10lbs with my two bridges. This is made for all day working in a tower, and also man rated at 310lbs.
I have been in a tree practicing and feel very safe. I can sacrifice a few lbs for safety, and don't think my body build will ever notice a couple lbs. It feels like setting in a swing, I adjust either bridge if I want to where it feels comfortable.

Dirt Track

Go to NewTribe's website. I don't have a current pic of me in the saddle.

Back