• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How long is your tether?

noxninja

The one that I have used has been 10' I think I am going with a 12' to allow for a larger tree. What length do you prefer?

I have one that is 12' which is usually a little long for the trees I hunt and one that is 40' for SRT. I very rarely use the 12 footer any more since I started descending SRT.

Wow thats a lot of tether. My rope tether is 6-7' I wrap it around the tree and then through its own loop for a secure fit. I mainly hunt trees that are about 8-12" round.

I have 1 that is 10-12', HSS tree rope, and another at 8' Ill be playing around with them to see which i like better. I hunt with a homebrew sit drag sewn to my rock harness. I always have both the harness and bridge clipped in when at the top.

I used a 10-12’ for presets but mostly a 40’ for rappelling now.

I like big trees for cover.

Last edited:
I have two:
1) HSS tree rope with a ropeman1 - must be 10' or so. Use this one if I'm hunting that stand just for the day.
2) a 25 footer with a ropeman1 that I use as a preset. That way when I come or go I just hook up to the rope and climb instead of using my lineman belt. I feel safer this way versus not being tied off on the ascent / descent.

Hey guys Newbie here - just to confirm 10-12’ tether and that’s with
11mm static rope, yes? Thx

You want honest answer, or what I tell my wife?

Outside of loop to outside of loop is 86" for tether and 70.5" for LB. I'm a leaner and hook the free end into my harness. Been happy with this setup for several years never once wishing I had different lengths. I'm 6'2" and use a platform. Swinging around like Tarzan on steps would require longer one I'd think.

Last edited:
Mines around 12' my linemens belt is the same length. That way I can use either for a back up

My tether is almost 7' but I don't hunt out of huge trees. Also, I don't want a lot of excess tether so this length works for me.

I too have 10' but it seems excessive. For example, a 2' in diameter tree (which is wider than shoulder width of most men, you genetic freaks out there are the exception of course :p) is 6' 3" in circumference which leaves a touch under 4' of tether length dangling by your knees give or take. Thinking of cutting mine down to 8' as trees I use are 12" to 18"

Both tether and lineman are 11mm static, I use samson assault line. Some use smaller diameter but I rather err on the side of caution with my life saving equipment.

Probably at least 10' I use mine for treestands though too with a rock harness.

I use the same rope from WE for both tether and lineman’s. 9’ ropes. Makes it easy to climb when you can use them interchangeably. They both have ropeman 1s as well

Mines' really short... but it's FAT!!! LOL.

mine is 10' I could go a lot shorter as most the trees I use are 18" or less in diameter; but I figure those extra 5' might come in handy if I need to manuever done a little if something happens and I fall or the top stick or platform fall etc. Safety extra is always better.

Back