How many use tarps instead of tents?

Discussion in 'Backcountry Hunting/Camping' started by Stykbow1, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Stykbow1

Stykbow1 Active Member

Hey,

I was just wondering how many guys use tarps instead of tents for back country hunts? I have been thinking about picking one up for emergency use and impromptu camp outs. Also is anybody using the Kifaru Sawtooth for camping and hunting? My buddy has one and he absolutely raves about it but I have only seen pictures of it and a couple of YouTube videos. Looking forward to hearing from everyone.

Thanks,

Roger

alukban likes this.
  2. Erniepower

Erniepower Well-Known Member

I have transitioned from tents to a hammock and tarp system and couldn't be happier. The only time I use a tent now is if the wife is, along.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mr Mom and alukban like this.
  3. g2outdoors

g2outdoors Well-Known Member

alukban and Seals72 like this.
  4. kbetts

kbetts Active Member

I'm in the process of building out my Backcountry kit but the short answer....No cause I want a floor. Bugs aren't bad out west but the mice will keep you up all night....If I went floorless they would've been in bed with me....No good. I like screens too, particularly being from the east coast. Thought about hammocks but you have to be able to suspend it, in the cold you need an underquilt, if it rains you're either in the hammock or under a tarp....With a wet floor. I would love to make a tarp work or more specifically a Seek Outside shelter, but once you add the nest, it becomes a tent. Only big plus I see is if you want to run a stove.

alukban likes this.
  5. Stykbow1

Stykbow1 Active Member

Ok thanks, guys I appreciate your input.

Roger,

alukban likes this.
  6. alukban

alukban Active Member

I use a flat tarp for both hammock and ground camping.

I don't think I would ever use tents again.

7. rabidd099

rabidd099 Member

I tarp it. in the I have a silnylon tarp (10'x12'? i think) ill use as for general purpose or for a kitchen area with 3+ people. For 2 or less people I just bring my black diamond mega light tarp tent. you can comfortable sleep 3 in the mega light when using the pole, if you can use a branch to tie the up the center its pretty roomy. I have also used the mega light during a week long moose hunt in Alaska there was 4 of us but we all had bivies so we stuck our bottom halves out the sides and had LOTs of room in the middle you could sleep 5-6 this way. We used someone else's tarp for a kitchen/spotting ledge. Rained all week and we were as dry and warm as you could hope to be. No bull showed out on this hunt but the following year we got a huge bull that measured 2 inches under Boone and Crockett.

Mega Light (specs)
    [​IMG]
    If they had a earth tone colored one I'd buy a second one but the blue isnt all that bad. I'd also like one with a stove pipe hole but thats just extra weight and I live back in NC now so I don't need it.

#7 rabidd099, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    alukban and redsquirrel like this.
  8. noxninja

noxninja Well-Known Member

I just climb in my truck pull the tarp over the back and sleep in the bed to me this is way less trouble than putting the tent up...If it rains I just get in the cab.

alukban likes this.
  9. rabidd099

rabidd099 Member

you could run a rope or cordage to make a ridge line for your tarp over your bed and not have to move if it rains.

alukban and noxninja like this.
  10. kbetts

kbetts Active Member

On a real backcountry hunt, you aren't sleeping in your truck. My buddies just got back from CO. They went a total of 47 miles on foot.

#10 kbetts, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    alukban likes this.