• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How to film your hunts from a SADDLE

Nope. I don't use one. They're nice to have for sure, but not necessary.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

Are you constantly recording while in the tree or do you turn off your cameras at times? I'm really interested in getting into filming I'm just quite ignorant on the subject.

I agree a controller isn't necessary but after using one a few years now I can't see myself going back to not using one. Self filming was a lot more stressful before I started using one.

I use a Varizoom VZ rock. On, Record, Variable Speed Zoom, Focus... all on the thumb. Weight and bulk penalty is minor.

Only certain cameras have the capability (LANC protocol). You wont find this feature on the cheaper camcorders. Best budget option is to pick up a Canon in the S line. These can be found reasonable on Ebay. I used one for a couple seasons before upgrading to a G30.

The LANC also becomes a difficult choice for even the veteran filmer looking to take his footage to next level. You wont find a LANC remote on a nice DSLR. Most give up the LANC to get the cinematic quality of the DSLR...or run two cameras.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Are you constantly recording while in the tree or do you turn off your cameras at times? I'm really interested in getting into filming I'm just quite ignorant on the subject.
The cameras are off 99% of the time. I have the camera pre-positioned where I expect the deer to be. As soon as I see/hear them, I switch on the main camera and move as slowly as possible to get in position. Then I reach in front of me and turn on my gopro for the second angle.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

When I looked I to Lanc compatible cameras, the price difference was rather large. I paid $90-$100 for mine. At the time, the cheapest one I could find with a remote option was at least $1k.

I bet it would make it much easier to do having everything right at your fingertips.

I also haven't made up my mind if I want to go full dslr or not.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

When I looked I to Lanc compatible cameras, the price difference was rather large. I paid $90-$100 for mine. At the time, the cheapest one I could find with a remote option was at least $1k.

I bet it would make it much easier to do having everything right at your fingertips.

I also haven't made up my mind if I want to go full dslr or not.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.
It wasn't that bad. I picked up a lightly used Canon HF S200 for about $300 on ebay in 2013. Sold it for the same a couple years after that to buy the g30 with the 20x optical zoom.

I'm guessing you didn't look at the s line. Those originally retailed at less than $1k and still can be found cheap today.

How much do you want for that g30 w/Lanc?

Sent from my Galaxy S8.
I wasn't implying I'm making the leap to DSLR. I'm not ready to self film without a remote again.

I can't justify upgrading to the G40. Maybe I'll pick up a DSLR some day. I need to do a better job with what I have first. If anything, I'll upgrade my action cam. Not my main camera in 2018.

I didn't. Zoom wasn't good enough in my opinion. I'd like a g30.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.
I'm reasonably sure the entire s line had a 10x optical zoom. As you know, most camcorders that report incredible zoom ranges are reporting mostly digital zoom. The optical zoom is generally pretty a smaller portion of this range. Digital zoom works great until you start running out of light. 10x optical is fine for most bowhunting applications. When self filming, most time you are far less than 10x at time of shot to ensure the shot is still in frame. Ah, the joys of self filming.

That being said summer glassing and filming left me wanting more. Also, turkey hunting. The cameras are a lot nicer now but it's still nice to have good glass ahead of the electronics. Zoom included.

As far as editing software is concerned do you have to pay a subscription or is it just a one time purchase?
Both. It comes down to personal preferences to evaluate total cost of ownership. Adobe pushes you toward subscriptions

So I take you use Adobe premiere? If you don't mind what is the cost involved with this software?
I have. I don't have an active subscription now. I wasn't using it. Adobe is $30/month or $20/month if you commit to a year. Adobe elements can be had for one time at $70. It's a boiled down version of pro with less than stellar reviews. A lot of free options out there as well. If I do a vlog this fall, I'll likely pick up a subscription for pro.

Great video G2! This has re kindled my interest in filming, about 6 years ago me and some guys filmed some but it was mostly filming with a partner not self filming, I got burnt out on it cause I don't like hunting with a partner all the time plus this was pre saddle so it was a ton of crap to pack in for two stands...I still have my camera it's a Samsung pretty similar to what you showed in your vid I don't remember the model it's been tucked away for a while now, I'm gonna have to upgrade to a lighter arm the one I still got is a boat anchor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great video G2! This has re kindled my interest in filming, about 6 years ago me and some guys filmed some but it was mostly filming with a partner not self filming, I got burnt out on it cause I don't like hunting with a partner all the time plus this was pre saddle so it was a ton of crap to pack in for two stands...I still have my camera it's a Samsung pretty similar to what you showed in your vid I don't remember the model it's been tucked away for a while now, I'm gonna have to upgrade to a lighter arm the one I still got is a boat anchor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Excellent. The saddle makes a huge difference by reducing bulk and weight. Have fun and post your videos!

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

Back