• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hunting in snow !

huck72412

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Many of you will view this thread and think " big whoopie doo " and perhaps some of you can relate. For this first time in 33 years of deer hunting in Georgia it is very likely that I will bow hunt deer during an active snowstorm between tomorrow evening and Saturday. I have watched a jillion hunting shows and even viewed 100s of pictures on this site of people hunting these conditions but have never had the opportunity. Haven't been this excited in a while.

Huck, the first thing you'll find is the sight picture gets smaller as the snow increases.:sweatsmile:

deep_snow_3_%28Small%29.jpg

Some enjoy just kicking back in the hot tub and wait out the storm.

deep_snow_8_%28Small%29.jpg

Have fun huck! The best part about it is that you will be able to see them coming for a long ways, much farther than you can normally. How much are you expecting to get? Hunting in a few inches is fun. When it starts piling up, everything gets harder. I hiked a mile and half through the snow to my spot last weekend. Phew!

They are predicting a guaranteed 2 inches of accumulation with the possibility of 4 inches between midday tomorrow and Saturday late morning. Thanks Red, I'm really looking forward to it.

That's worth getting excited over! Some of my most memorable hunts were in the snow. I've killed a few in outright blizzards. I love it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deer in tn disappear in snow. Wild.

Sent from my
Sit drag, Ernie's outdoors linesman belt,
At 20' up

Lucky! We're expecting a light dusting over here in MS today, but nothing to amount to anything.

Hunting in the snow and especially during a flat out snow storm is awesome and absolutely gorgeous. I love it.

Make sure to take in the sights and watch as small animals leave a fresh path behind them. To me hunting is way more than the kill and hunting in the snow is something everyone should get to experience.

Hunting in the snow and especially during a flat out snow storm is awesome and absolutely gorgeous. I love it.

Make sure to take in the sights and watch as small animals leave a fresh path behind them. To me hunting is way more than the kill and hunting in the snow is something everyone should get to experience.

Completely agree with this John. Ive come to love the adventure of the hunt...the hiking in, setting up, and enjoying the view. Ive let a lot of deer go by this year because im pretty far back on public but I get excited just knowing I set up and had the deer right there for the taking. Im going in today in the snow...but plan to pack one out if the opportunity arises. Going in light with the saddle. I do still struggle in the saddle a little with the heavy winter clothing on...so Ill try and set up on a trail and hope they come in on my strong side.

Well the weather " poor-casters" were wrong yet again on the whereabouts of the snowfall. Nice and cold but no snowfall. Maybe next time!!!!!

Huck

I moments ago got off the phone with a guy from North Caroline and they got 4 to 6 inches last night and he said it would be on the ground for a while as they're going to have teens and twenties temps for several days.

Maybe next time it'll dump on Georgia.

Sorry Huck, you can come hunt late season with me in PA next year if we have a snowy forecast. Only about a 12 hour drive.

Deer in tn disappear in snow. Wild.

Sent from my
At 20' up

They do in Texas too. But, it seems that if the weather lasts more than a day and a half (maybe 2) they are up and moving like crazy. It's almost as if they assume, from past experience no doubt, that cold fronts and snow don't last long here. Almost like they try and outlast it.

They do in Texas too. But, it seems that if the weather lasts more than a day and a half (maybe 2) they are up and moving like crazy. It's almost as if they assume, from past experience no doubt, that cold fronts and snow don't last long here. Almost like they try and outlast it.

Hunted all day snow everywhere no deer seen. I'm headed out long day when you ain't used to -5

Sent from my
At 20' up

Sorry Huck, you can come hunt late season with me in PA next year if we have a snowy forecast. Only about a 12 hour drive.

I have free flight benefits!!!!!

Back