• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hunting Strong Winds

DwadeCham

Any tips, ideas, strategies? Unfortunately I had two days possible to hunt this week. Tomorrow which I scrapped due to thunderstorms and Friday. Fridays temps will approach 68° and the winds will be around 20 mph. Not ideal but I feel like with the rut becoming more active I need to get out there.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I posted the same question awhile ago because I've never had much success in high winds. This year was the first time I've snuck into bedding, setup a tree and hunted. Without it being windy there is no way I could've done that. So I guess one strategy is to use it to your advantage to push into a new spot that otherwise you might not get a crack at.

Last edited:
I've "heard" tall, open timber. It blew hard last Saturday and honestly, deer were everywhere. I like overlooking stream bottoms. They seem to like being able to see more....I guess because everything is moving.

I have no control on rain, snow, sunny, moon phase, temp, wind, etc...... and neither do the deer. They move want and if they want and I have had "perfect crisp mornings where nothing moved and windy nasty hot days where the woods were alive. The one thing I can do is hunt location based upon those conditions - and to be there.

All those factors are one thing but when I see the barometric pressure start to rise I'm in the woods. I've had more success when it gets above 30.21 I was covered up this year the couple of days it was 30.40 and 30.39

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All those factors are one thing but when I see the barometric pressure start to rise I'm in the woods. I've had more success when it gets above 30.21 I was covered up this year the couple of days it was 30.40 and 30.39

I agree. But I have struggled to find a good resource for forecasting barometric pressure. Do have a good one?

I agree. But I have struggled to find a good resource for forecasting barometric pressure. Do have a good one?

Scoutlook has been my app of choice for barometric pressure and wind direction.

So here is what I'm working with. On the left there is bedding. I believe the bedding at the bottom to be does and the bedding at the top to be a buck. The line is a travel corridor. I have had deer going either way down the line in different winds. It is an oak float between a ridge on the left and a drop off on the right. Basically a big shelf. During scouting I have seen scrapes in the area to the right of the screen.

Thinking about trying to sneak in to the north side so my wind is blowing off the property and setting up. It's rifle season so I should have the range to shoot at anything on the ridge or the drop off if I set up in the right place.

The flat is mostly tall, skinny trees with pretty good visibility on the ground.

Any other thoughts?
785216188a11b8991936a81d618fe208.jpg

If you are dealing with a South wind I would suspect bucks to be bedding and or cruising the North side of that ridge line. In that case you sent is blowing towards where they would be coming from... If you could walk the west property line and hook into the north side on a south wind you may have a better chance of not blowing him out if he is bedded on the northern end on the other property. Obviously I don't know the property so those are just some initial thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Property owner has seen a nice buck crossing that power line road at the white triangle. Recently in the evening.
252f6b852e67b40580171f47da3ee3e2.jpg

Back