• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hunting with my Trad Bow - Video Highlights

Great video! I also shoot a longbow with a 714 grain arrow. They do drop like a rock past 15 yards! It loomed Luke you had a badger broadhead. I have some but have not had a chance to draw blood. How do they perform?

Very cool man. Fun to see another hunter's journey through a season. I neglected public land this year because I got access on a few private pieces. I need to venture out more next season.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Great video thanks for posting.

Do you find using a platform with your saddle to offer more maneuverability than just using steps.

Great video! I also shoot a longbow with a 714 grain arrow. They do drop like a rock past 15 yards! It loomed Luke you had a badger broadhead. I have some but have not had a chance to draw blood. How do they perform?
These are 300 grain VPA. I test shot them after I shot my doe with the rifle. First arrow went through opposite shoulder and stuck out 2". The 2nd arrow didn't hit shoulder and passed through. Negligible damage.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Great video thanks for posting.

Do you find using a platform with your saddle to offer more maneuverability than just using steps.
For shooting to the off-hand side yes. I've never used just steps before though.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks for your video. Hang in there with your long bow. It will all come together I’m pretty much all selfbows and still see no disadvantage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 1st trad kill deer was with a vpa 3 blade. My arrow weight is usually in the upper 500s but I can’t remember exactly what Set up I was using that year. What distance did you make the practice shot on the doe to get full penetration through that opposite shoulder and what’s your DL and poundage. Don’t worry about the damage. These bows kill on super sharp broadheads making clean cuts that keep bleeding.
I’m pulling 50#@ 25in DL I lost 2 deer this year from hitting the shoulder and not getting any penetration. I’m shooting 2 blade grizzly’s at 565 total arrow weight. No blood to trail on either deer that I could find. My dog found one arrow 130 yards away. It was a 15 yard shot and I don’t even think the full broadhead penetrated under the skin. I’m very discussed this year. I think it’s been 4-5 seasons of a trad bow only journey. I killed a few does and hogs. Never got a buck. It’s been a long road. Pulling out the rifle this year. My DL kills me. My bow is 54in. A longer bow will give me more power. I need to try that route.

91372533033434fc48be0b9b225aa3d4.jpg

My 1st trad kill deer was with a vpa 3 blade. My arrow weight is usually in the upper 500s but I can’t remember exactly what Set up I was using that year. What distance did you make the practice shot on the doe to get full penetration through that opposite shoulder and what’s your DL and poundage. Don’t worry about the damage. These bows kill on super sharp broadheads making clean cuts that keep bleeding.
I’m pulling 50#@ 25in DL I lost 2 deer this year from hitting the shoulder and not getting any penetration. I’m shooting 2 blade grizzly’s at 565 total arrow weight. No blood to trail on either deer that I could find. My dog found one arrow 130 yards away. It was a 15 yard shot and I don’t even think the full broadhead penetrated under the skin. I’m very discussed this year. I think it’s been 4-5 seasons of a trad bow only journey. I killed a few does and hogs. Never got a buck. It’s been a long road. Pulling out the rifle this year. My DL kills me. My bow is 54in. A longer bow will give me more power. I need to try that route.

I bought a recurve to start practicing with, but I'm not sure how far I'm gonna get with it. My shoulders already aren't great and I have the same concerns as you- I'm a short DL.

Man, you guys have definitely put the traditional bug back in me. I found this site just for help with transitioning to a saddle, but with all of the traditional talk on here I can already tell that I will be shooting my recurve again next summer, trying to get ready for deer season.

I plan on getting a trad bow to practice with over the summer. I am weak so it will take some time to build up my strength.
My draw is 29.5" with my compound

What bow quiver is that ...?

Back