• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hunting with Spurs on...?

IkemanTX

Does anyone hunt (leaning style, not sitting) without a platform when using spurs? I am considering using my spurs as my platform at height so I don't have to take them off and put them on. Is this advisable, or is it pretty dangerous to rely on them that much? I would be considering a fairly long tether, for a leaner anyways, so I could step around the tree if need be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't used them that way. I can't imagine they'd be comfortable after 30 minutes. I could be wrong.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I've done it. @flinginairos has done it. It's fine for a quick hunt. I generally only do this with my web these days. To position center a spur in the meat of the tree and pivot by toe hooks or pushing off with the other spur.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I did it for two hours one time but had screw in pegs to rest on as well. It worked but wasn't the most comfortable.

I've done it quite a bit. I usually carry some cranford rope steps in case there are no branches where I can rest my feet. I almost never take off my spurs while in a tree unless I'm using a platform that will make a lot of noise with them

Well I guess I hadn't thought of standing on limbs.... funny how it's so easy to get stuck in the mindset of just the gear you are carrying. I wonder if I could make them work with Stepp ladder steps... hmmm

I did it for two hours one time but had screw in pegs to rest on as well. It worked but wasn't the most comfortable.

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend all day sit unless you are sitting in a web. Leaning on a spurs in a sit drag is well, a drag

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend all day sit unless you are sitting in a web. Leaning on a spurs in a sit drag is well, a drag

I can handle the sit drag all day. Spurs.....not so much. Haha

Using the web, no problem with spurs all day. stand awhile and sit a while. while sitting , I would just let my legs dangle. never had any problems .

this Is the only way I hunt with them, knee pads and some screw in steps to allow some leg rest and I nvr had much issue. I have a platform now but I try not to carry the extra weight as I generally hunt public land and like to get in and set up quickly.. but im still working on my rigging so that may change here in 2017. I had it down to a backpack and my bow last season just wore my spikes looking for a good way to carry them in without too much commotion or discomfort.

this Is the only way I hunt with them, knee pads and some screw in steps to allow some leg rest and I nvr had much issue. I have a platform now but I try not to carry the extra weight as I generally hunt public land and like to get in and set up quickly.. but im still working on my rigging so that may change here in 2017. I had it down to a backpack and my bow last season just wore my spikes looking for a good way to carry them in without too much commotion or discomfort.

Mine pack up well. I'm going to make some webbing straps and clips to hold them in this position.
5b32077e2708442ad1dcf5326ef18fa9.jpg

Mine pack up well. I'm going to make some webbing straps and clips to hold them in this position.
5b32077e2708442ad1dcf5326ef18fa9.jpg

that's a thing of beauty right there! thanks for the pic I may have to tinker when I get home now. I don't really carry all that much in my pack but I have started carrying my filming gear and the arm takes up some space!

that's a thing of beauty right there! thanks for the pic I may have to tinker when I get home now. I don't really carry all that much in my pack but I have started carrying my filming gear and the arm takes up some space!

Ya, the crazy thing is that there are Molle loops everywhere I could attach this. Even the bottom of the bag has a set that I will be adding straps to. The spurs should be extremely secure when I'm done.

It's doable. I did it last year. I think it would work fine with the plastic ameristeps as well, but not any other metal steps.

Okay I'd like to revive this tread and question. This is my first season out with a Guido's Web and climbing spurs. It seems like a real pain and a lot of rustling to try to get the spurs off and put away once at the top.

Are most people doing this or just leaving them on while on your steps at the top? I'm using the Ameristep strap on steps and tried leaving on my spurs. Seems a little tricky but I think I magic like it better than trying to take them off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back