• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

I give you....The Deacons Bench

noxninja

upload_2017-9-15_8-50-1.jpegupload_2017-9-15_8-51-7.jpegupload_2017-9-15_8-52-20.jpegupload_2017-9-15_8-53-27.jpegStill not satisfied with hook up. my plan is to climb the tree with my aider adn rock climbing harness and then tie the deacons bench into the main biner with another biner as shown. I think it is going to take a larger one than the one that I have for feasibility of making it a smooth transition. The whale tail is positioned out of the way for carrying and the knob on the bottom is loosen so it will swing into position.

Looks very nice. Im not trying to offend you but I have safety concerns. If the wale tale pivots will it pinch you? I'm not a fan of metal to metal contact on the bridge. Are the straps continuous or do they tie in a knot under the plywood? If so not a fan. Just be careful brother

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nox,

On mine, My bridge was continuous from front corner to front corner and back corner to back corner.Just had to get them tied to hang level. Then I was able to rotate just like in a saddle.

You could loosely tie a small rope or webbing loop to hold the straps together and clip them straight onto your Ropeman biner.

Then put a little loop in the end of your tether and clip into your harness

Looks very nice. Im not trying to offend you but I have safety concerns. If the wale tale pivots will it pinch you? I'm not a fan of metal to metal contact on the bridge. Are the straps continuous or do they tie in a knot under the plywood? If so not a fan. Just be careful brother

Not going to offend me one bit! This is why I posted it to get some much appreciated feedback. Ill try to answer a few questions:
the whale tail pivots but when you tighten the knob it is very rigid.
no pinching the tree as my legs sit on the two bumps on either side of the tail outside of the tree (no knee pads praise God)
didn't have enough webbing to run the loops under the plywood, but am planning on getting some to do just that.
I don't like the biner on the webbing either, for the metal on metal contact, but I did not want to unscrew the main biner gate to hook the webbing into it as I would be connected to my rock climbing harness to it. Before I left the house I put to spring gate binders on each portion of the bridge and as I walked out of the room I looked back and said "I am not going to like that either...too much metal! :)

keep the comments coming! they ease the noodle itching between my ears

Honestly, when you are wearing the HARNESS, the continuous webbing underneath is just extra credit. But I like extra credit :)

I think when you get to height, you just stand in your stirrups, tighten lineman's belt to hold you in place and you can unscrew the carabiner and pop in the bridge.

When I did it with my Onehair, I ran a sling anchor all the way around the tree while I set up my tether. I wore the seat on my back with the straps across my chest diagonally. While standing in the stirrups, I connected the webbing bridge to the biner while the seat was still on my back. Then I could just rotate the seat down and under me.

Honestly, when you are wearing the HARNESS, the continuous webbing underneath is just extra credit. But I like extra credit :)

I think when you get to height, you just stand in your stirrups, tighten lineman's belt to hold you in place and you can unscrew the carabiner and pop in the bridge.

When I did it with my Onehair, I ran a sling anchor all the way around the tree while I set up my tether. I wore the seat on my back with the straps across my chest diagonally. While standing in the stirrups, I connected the webbing bridge to the biner while the seat was still on my back. Then I could just rotate the seat down and under me.

One other thing I thought about was cutting small notches on the side for the webbing to rest so once they would stay in place and not just be resting on the side.

One other thing I thought about was cutting small notches on the side for the webbing to rest so once they would stay in place and not just be resting on the side.

I was thing the same thing about hooking into the main tether...have a temporary hook up while I placed the bridge on the main biner thereby eliminating the extra biner

I'll be interested to hear how you like the shape of the plywood where the backs of your legs contact it. Looks to me like it would be uncomfortable in those two spots.

Great job building your own saddle style stand from scratch. I hope it works out for you . Or tweak it until it does.

I'll be interested to hear how you like the shape of the plywood where the backs of your legs contact it. Looks to me like it would be uncomfortable in those two spots.

So far sitting in it has been fine. I thought the same thing but no issues yet. If it seems to be a problem I thought about gluing a pad to each side to raise the legs a bit. We shall see

Cool. I was thinking of doing something like this. How much does it weigh and what is the dimensions of your seat?

I just built a Onehair seat like this that's bigger than yours. Weighs 7 lbs with the ropes and carabiner. 22" from side-to-side. 16" from front to back,with the whale tail sticking out another 8" beyond that. Prolly bigger than what it needs to be.

Back