• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

(Inexpensive) Indoor hobies?

Gettin Closer

This hurricane has made me realize that i do not have an indoor hobie. I have been cooped up since Saturday morning and going stir crazy. I have been out of the house at least 2x a day to go for a walk in the woods in the rain when it is not as bad.

Looking for some indoor ideas from you. What do you do for fun when you are stuck indoors for extended periods of time?

Start widdling down a self bow or build an AR.
You must have missed the inexpensive part! I have built an AR chambered in 308! It is far from light @ 12 pounds with scope and everything. It sure is fun. For the cost, I will buy one next time. I have toyed with the idea of a self bow but need the tools. I have not gotten into wood working yet.

Several years back I bought an older model olympic grade air rifle . Built a backstop, scoped it and shoot it indoors at 10M at downsized targets offhand. Mine is a single stroke pneumatic FWB300s. Made in the 80's and the model has many a gold medal to its ansestry.
Looking for a compressed air or c02 5 shot pistol to keep up on that as well.
Friends and I will have little friendly competitions during the winter months.

Several years back I bought an older model olympic grade air rifle . Built a backstop, scoped it and shoot it indoors at 10M at downsized targets offhand. Mine is a single stroke pneumatic FWB300s. Made in the 80's and the model has many a gold medal to its ansestry.
Looking for a compressed air or c02 5 shot pistol to keep up on that as well.
Friends and I will have little friendly competitions during the winter months.
That sounds like good fun and a great way to keep sharp skills.

Yes and no....any air rifle or pistol of olympic grade will humble all but the best shooters...their accuracy is really unbelieveable. And I have built some accurate powder burners over the years to compare them. There is no comparison.
You would have to try one to really get what I mean. Google, "Mini Sniping ".
Article written by Peter Hathaway Capstic, a professional Hunter who did alot of man-eater and dangerous game animal control in Africa.
He does a really good description of hobby shooting....I think you may appreciate it.

Yes and no....any air rifle or pistol of olympic grade will humble all but the best shooters...their accuracy is really unbelieveable. And I have built some accurate powder burners over the years to compare them. There is no comparison.
You would have to try one to really get what I mean. Google, "Mini Sniping ".
Article written by Peter Hathaway Capstic, a professional Hunter who did alot of man-eater and dangerous game animal control in Africa.
He does a really good description of hobby shooting....I think you may appreciate it.
I have not read that one but he is a favorite author (and I am not a big reader.) I will have to look that one up. Thanks.

Fly tying. I've gotten in to fly fishing a bit and tying is a blast. Fooling a fish on your own creation is alot like killing a deer with an arrow you built. Stripers are getting frisky.

Get a cheap sewing machine and start sewing up gear. There are tons of uses for it.

Start videoing your hunts/fishing trips/adventures. I use my time indoors to edit everything.

Get a cheap sewing machine and start sewing up gear. There are tons of uses for it.

This was my first thought...I picked my machine up for $25. I keep finding uses for it now that I figured out how to use it. There are great instructional videos on youtube making it easy to get started.

taxidermy? probably expensive, but maybe pays for itself eventually?

Get a fletching jig, vanes or feathers, and start refletching and customizing your own arrows....I go a little over the top by weighing everything...nocks, inserts, shafts and the finished arrow. Then sorting them out to within several grains. Probably not necessary, but it gives ME peace of mind knowing they are so close to identicle.

Get a fletching jig, vanes or feathers, and start refletching and customizing your own arrows....I go a little over the top by weighing everything...nocks, inserts, shafts and the finished arrow. Then sorting them out to within several grains. Probably not necessary, but it gives ME peace of mind knowing they are so close to identicle.
This is fun! I have been thinking about getting into splicing feathers. I have not done that yet.

Back