• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Initial run on my sit drag

kyler1945

SH Member
I made my first hunt with the sit drag.

I have done some one stick climbing, but decided this time to take three so I didn't have to jack with it and could focus on the new setup. Well, I use ropes on my sticks, and store them in my pack for the walk in. I forgot all three, and just happened to have one backup in my pack. So I one sticked it. Here are my observations:

I had about a 2 mile hike in. I stalked in at grey light, and bumped a few deer out of the area I headed into. Set up in the first tree nearby in hopes one would come back. I sat for two hours.

Due to my stupidity, I did the one stick climb. I made two different types of aiders to try instead of the black diamond 5 step one. Turns out, one with two steps, out of tubular webbing, with rope sewn in the foothold to keep it open, worked best. I actually just used electric tape and wrapped around rope and strap. I've gotten considerably better at one stick climbing and was up the tree in short order.

I chose a smaller tree than I typically do. Not enough cover, and especially with my larger pack. If I go that small of a tree with no others nearby, i'll use a smaller pack.

I set my xop platform with amsteel, cammed over easily. Rock solid. I then have two strap on ameristeps on an over center. On this small of a tree I probably could shoot almost 360 without them. will come in handy on larger trees.

I set my tether at just above the top of my head.

I spent the majority of the time leaning. I noticed some hip pinch, but it was very easy to adjust the saddle and my angle without much movement. Far far less than constant moving to get comfortable in the lock on.

The freedom of movement will take some discipline not to swing around every time I hear a noise.

I don't like the Molle loops I sewed in. (My Mother sewed in.........) I won't use the dump pouches they are too loud and I don't plan to always wear my SD as a belt walking in. If I'm using my sitka pack it goes inside. If I go minimal, or i'm scouting, I have a fanny pack i'll use as a belt. I am however, going to sew up a fleece pouch with snaps or magnet closures and a couple cinch straps that attaches to the back of the SD for storing all my climbing gear.

In all, I'm adjusting well to the dark side and looking forward to finishing the season hunting this way a good bit. My guido's web will probably only get used when it's cold or i'm close to the truck.

I just weighed my whole climbing and hanging set up. 11lbs - the same as my lone wolf assault or web IMG_0368.JPG IMG_0376.JPG IMG_0378.JPG by itself. I'll shave about half a pound with a minimal rc harness.

Nice. Im gonna question your choice of knots on the amsteel. They look like knots, and that's not good. Do eye splices. Your carabiner attaching your prusic to your harness, should technically hook to the 2 straps just like the red loop does. I know its easy/convinient to hook to the red loop, but technically its not correct. You can also eliminate the prusic and just figure 8 knot the end and clip to that. For a second back up, run your lineman around the tree like your tether at waist high and clip the end to your carabiner we just talked about on your harness.
Merry Christmas.

Ps. Looks like the same knot on your platform. Eye splice it, super easy to do. Video on samson website.

Nice!! Your set up is very very similar to mine. You mentioned a little hip pinch and it looks to me like your tether is set up pretty high? If your a leaner like me you can set your tether about eye level with your Ropeman almost against the loop on the tree. I don't get any hip pinch with it set like that. It def looks like you are leaned back pretty far but I'm sure it will take you a few hunts to dial in how you like it. Also, I am with Kenn, splice those loops on the Amsteel and it will be safer. It's extremely easy to so and doesn't degrade the strength of the rope. Keep at it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with the comments so far. You'll get it dialed in. Looks like you're 90% there.

I used to carry 2 strap on steps on a boat buckle as well. As I got more comfortable with the platform, they became extra weight and I've ditched them entirely.

Why were the dump pouches noisy? What kind were you using?

Thanks for all the help guys.

Will make the swap on the RC carabiner, or eliminate it and use the figure 8 knot at the end of my tether for a backup.

As far as the knots go on the Amsteel - I don't plan to leave it this way, these were just an easy way to allow for adjustment. I would imagine that 1/4" Amsteel being rated at 10+ times the sit drag, with a knot degrading it's load rating, would still not fail before the SD. But I appreciate the feedback and will definitely be splicing loops in. I'm happy with the lengths on everything now.

Out of curiosity, wouldn't the Jim Stepp knot create a similar situation with the rope losing strength, or no? Also, we seem to use knots on climbing rope pretty often, does it not have the same effect there?

I bought the Molle dump pouches off of amazon. I cut the liner out, that was really noisy. However, even the material the thing is made out of is loud/scratchy when something runs across it. Again, if I planned on wearing the sling like a belt walking in or climbing, I might have a use for them. But I have a pretty cool idea for storing everything.

There's not really anything I'd need on the SD while climbing or hunting. Using the one stick method, i'm using my tether to climb, and I have my linesman belt at the ready so I can clip in to go over a branch. Once I'm at height, that's getting stowed. I could see them being useful for using multiple sticks/linesman belt to climb, or people using steps/linesmans belt.

I'm pretty disappointed I started into this at this point in the season. Deer are just starting to rut here...not the time to spend all my time daydreaming about dialing in. Oh well, I've put two on the ground so far this year, no pressure to get it done.

Checking in from hunt number 2. 79* today, so I only carried necessities. I've gotten much better at the one stick method and can do it with relative ease now. Bumped two deer within 75 yards or so if where I wanted to set up. I got to within 30 yards of them and it's so thick I never saw them till they trotted off. Could never have happened with 30lbs of metal gear hanging off my back...

Here's hoping whatever put them on this ridge brings them or another deer back by.

So far I've been in for about 2.5 hours, trying an eye height tether for this hunt. So far so good.

I think I have a new way to pack everything in, with the pack serving a couple extra functions. I hope to share soon... cheers everyone happy holidays!

Try a 4 step web wider. Once you get confidence in it you will leave those sticks at the house

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just an update to my experience so far with the SD. I've hunted exclusively now for 7-8 hunts.

Our rut is in full swing finally, and I brought a good friend of mine into a spot I found early season that I've been saving. He's ex military, and has a young family and not a lot of time to hunt. I walked him into the tree, told him where the deer come from, and hopped one ridge over. Found 4 trees growing out of one trunk that would provide good cover and jacked up about 100 yards away. Like clockwork a doe worked into his set, but never offered a shot. As she crossed the bottom, it became apparent she was heading my way. So I clicked my camera on, turned it to where she'd be coming up, and readied myself. Out of nowhere a nice 8 point trots right under his stand and stops at 20 yards. I heard him shoot, and heard the arrow connect. Unfortunately the shot was just outside of the frame of my camera, but that didn't stop my fistpumping and shouts under my breath.

Sadly, his lower limb hit the bar on the top section of his climber. The shot hit high and forward, and angled through the brisket. We had very good blood for a few hundred yards, but it was coming out of one hole and eventually died out. We called in a dog, and he tracked him for another several hundred yards before figuring out he was still alive and fast enough to get away.

I tell the story for a couple of reasons. If he was in a saddle, dead deer, no metal bar to hit. Also, for hunts like this where time is precious and i'm rushing to get set, having 10lbs of gear instead of 30 is priceless.

This morning I hunted a tree I've hunted out of several seasons in my lockon. I had a deer come in from my 5 o'clock, and well below me. I had some leftover rope and had tied my SD tightly around my waist to mimic a waistbelt. I'm glad I did, as I was nearly horizontal and having that thing locked around me gave me the confidence to really lean out. The shot never presented itself, but I was happy being able to make it. I will be adding a belt to this thing for sure. I actually bought a rescue belt with cobra buckle a couple sizes too big. I'll sew that in on the outside, should work nicely.

Heading back to the woods now, may get snow! tomorrow will be an all day hunt, but i'll likely be in the guido's web.

Back