• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Instinctive shooting

fawnzy

So, I’ve now shot a beginner recurve twice and it’s pretty fun. I like instinctive shooting.
Now, I’ve heard modern compound bows are not good for fingers, is there any reason not to use a release with a compound bow and still do instinctive shooting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t see why not. It’s just your brain getting used to the sight picture anyway. Might be harder to have a solid anchor though.

I don’t shoot instinctive.

You can still eat tomato soup with only a fork - but it is going to drive you nuts in the process...
Instinctive shooting is a myth in my opinion; others say it is an aiming technique. I cant think of any reason NOT to use a release with a compound bow.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Thanks. Any instinctive shooters with input? Anyone......Bueller?’

You can still eat tomato soup with only a fork - but it is going to drive you nuts in the process...
Instinctive shooting is a myth in my opinion; others say it is an aiming technique. I cant think of any reason NOT to use a release with a compound bow.

It’s the challenge I liked. I have a crossbow. If I want to harvest a deer I’ll use it. The thought of using a. Impound for instinctive shooting is flexibility for future use if I want to throw on a pin sight.

Is that referencing the gap in your sight picture between the top of the arrow and target?

Thanks. Any instinctive shooters with input? Anyone......Bueller?’

I shot a recurve instinctively for 20 years and I can't imagine doing it with a release but, I guess it's possible. I am not sure that you want to be surprised when the bow goes off like when using a release. Then again I have never shot a vertical compound bow in my life (only recurves or xbows) so others my have a different opinion.

I know that there are different opinions on what "instinctive" means but, for the 20 years I shot I didn't pay attention to "gaps" or reference points, I just focused on what I wanted to hit and shot the bow. When I shot the best I didn't even remember what my sight picture looked like. I always thought of it like throwing a baseball, I just looked at the glove and threw the ball and it went there. Maybe my brain was working out gaps or reference points but, it wasn't something I did consciously.

Almost everyone shooting recurves uses the tip of their arrow as a reference point. Some say they don’t but it’s possible they don’t realize it. I haven’t killed a deer with a recurve but have taken small game. If I were going to hunt without sights it wouldn’t be with a compound. It would be something lighter, quieter, and just plain fun to shoot.

Its all cool, anything that throws arrows is okay in my book - I am not a purist.

I bought into the whole Asbell style when I was first learning to shoot a recurve. I then learned that by shooting instinctively I was just gap shooting poorly!

I bought a cheap Shakespeare parabow 50 lb bow years ago. Grabbed a hand full of flu flu with blunt tips and had some of the most fun I have every had with a bow. I haven’t ever hunted deer with it. I have a hard enough time with a compound with sights.

Yeah, like I said it may be something my brain does subconciously, actually I am sure it is but, I have noticed that when I am truly "dialed in" if you will, and shooting my best, I don't remember anything about my sight picture.

I used to shoot a lot of aerial disks, got pretty good at it actually, and this is where I think conciously gap shooting would be tough. We even used to shoot change and aspirin out of the air, I got to where I would hit more quarters than I would miss.

I haven't shot my recurve much in the last 5 years but hunting out of a saddle is makig me want to pick it back up, they just seem to go together.

In my early years the compounds were much longer axle to axle and release aids were considered illegal for hunting.
Didn't have any problems hitting what I aimed at.
A friend of mine shot fingers and hated sights....killed more animals than the black plague killed people...
Absolutely possible to do with fingers and instinctively.
Today's world markets gadgets, some good, some just extra weight and bulk.
You can't buy accuracy, it has to be earned by practice all year long.
I say go for it.

Is that referencing the gap in your sight picture between the top of the arrow and target?

Yes. I shoot better at aerial targets because I let my instincts just throw the arrow. I was always a good wing shot with a gun. The more I think, the worst I shoot without sights and I just can’t let my instincts take over on a deer and I shoot poorly. This traditional journey has brought me to my knees and I’m ready to pick up a gun and buy a new compound. But that feeling when you do kill and the arrow goes where you are looking is unmatched! And very addictive!

The only way to know if you are truly shooting instinctive is to be in complete darkness and shoot at a laser pointer dot on a target. Most people reference there arrow point whether they know it or not.

That’s a cool idea.

Yes. I shoot better at aerial targets because I let my instincts just throw the arrow. I was always a good wing shot with a gun. The more I think, the worst I shoot without sights and I just can’t let my instincts take over on a deer and I shoot poorly. This traditional journey has brought me to my knees and I’m ready to pick up a gun and buy a new compound. But that feeling when you do kill and the arrow goes where you are looking is unmatched! And very addictive!

The only way to know if you are truly shooting instinctive is to be in complete darkness and shoot at a laser pointer dot on a target. Most people reference there arrow point whether they know it or not.

We used to light a cigarette and stick it in the hay bales after dark. We would then see who could shoot it out first.

Yes it's possible. YouTube Dan and Guy Fitzgerald. They shoot some pretty short Mathews bows with fingers and instinctive. I believe they release with two fingers.

I shoot a compound with fingers. It's a 42" ata Mathews Conquest Triumph... actually a target bow. I have shot it without sights, but I'm much better at distance with sights and a peep. I feel like I'm a little quicker on the shot than with a release.

You can shoot a compound with a release and shoot instinctive . You don't have use sights. I shoot compounds with sights and long bows instinctive. Shooting instinctive is like throwing a baseball to first base , after awhile you can hit the first basemans glove with no problem. It takes alot of practice almost everyday to get really good at shooting instinctive.

[QUOTE="Apex7, post: 66639, member: 1780 Shooting instinctive is like throwing a baseball to first base , after awhile you can hit the first basemans glove with no problem. It takes alot of practice almost everyday to get really good at shooting instinctive.[/QUOTE]

I only shot instinctively with my old Bear and harvested a # is deer with it. I still practice with my Hoyt recurve but I do not have the time to practice like I did in my younger days.

I look at instinctive shooting as sort of an athletic endeavor. Some people can do it with almost ease others takes a lot of practice while others will never get it. It’s fun to be able to break out the recurve and just relax and shoot. (Which I do not go enough of)

Like golf or any other sport if helps if you start a younger age.

Now I talked myself into getting off this site and go shoot. :expressionless:

Back