• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Integrated waistbelt to Sitdrag

Cameron

Hey guys, I'm looking at getting into saddle hunting for the occasional use when I hit an issue ground hunting. Where I go out, there can be berry bushes 6 feet tall and sometimes I want to just get above them. I've been looking at ways to climb for the 8-12 foot range (less than 20 for sure) here http://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/new-guy-old-questions.2974/

I have a sitdrag which I pulled the straps off and speedy stitched the loops into thirds. I was thinking though about adding a strap of webbing that wraps around my backside (either sewn to the sitdrag or not so it could ride up as back support) with loops that are wrapped around the sitdrag loops and the tag ends come across the front to a buckle. This would help keep it up while climbing and ass some more trust to the loops. I'm not planning on using a RC harness long term (but will while practicing) because I want this to be extremely lightweight for these occasional low height times.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Can the buckle be a simple plastic buckle or should I splurge on a cobra buckle? Is it better to see the strap to the sitdrag?
Thanks!

The waist belt is essential for my setup. I wouldn't use a SD without it. I started off with a regular GI buckle. I broke it and upgraded to the cobra. Definitely worth it.

I just finished my sitdrag mod last night. I still need to buy the foam. I'm undecided on whether I'll buy pouches or not, but have loops in case I do. Thanks to @g2outdoors for posting YouTube video of his drag which I followed for my mod.

2b18666bbb5f7876de3717646cf5c2aa.jpg
e306ecad899679dcbc92d0a87e34d941.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will second the waist belt option. I typically will carry the Sit Drag in my backpack on the way in, but the waist belt gives me the option of wearing it if need be. That being said, I am a leaner instead of a sitter. It seems like most sitters do without the waist belt.

If I use the existing bridge that came as a complete loop around me with the cobra buckles, could I add some sort of loop or just clip a biner to the belt as a backup instead of the RC harness? And I know the RC harness would be the safest way, but for those that don't use one, could this added waistbelt be like a psuedo-riggers belt?

If I use the existing bridge that came as a complete loop around me with the cobra buckles, could I add some sort of loop or just clip a biner to the belt as a backup instead of the RC harness? And I know the RC harness would be the safest way, but for those that don't use one, could this added waistbelt be like a psuedo-riggers belt?

This is my plan. I don't use a RC harness now but feel I should have some kind of backup. A riggers belt with cobra buckles should work if you can hook the tag end of your tether to it.

I'm ready to order a cobra buckle with both sides adjustable. I thought I may end up seeing the tag ends of the buckle down on both sides with some slack so the belt is still adjustable but the ends cannot slip through. Is this a good way to manage the adjustable ends or is there a better way? And is it frowned upon to clip the Binet right into the belt?

I'm ready to order a cobra buckle with both sides adjustable. I thought I may end up seeing the tag ends of the buckle down on both sides with some slack so the belt is still adjustable but the ends cannot slip through. Is this a good way to manage the adjustable ends or is there a better way? And is it frowned upon to clip the Binet right into the belt?

Honestly I doubt many on here recommend doing that but it would be better than no backup at all. In your situation of hunting lower to the ground I think it would be fine. You could always try out the riggers belt on the ground and see if it would work to stop you in a short fall. Right now I don't use a backup at all and feel safe but something else to stop a fall in case of a failure would be a good idea

photo+3.JPG

I plan to sew my buckle like this to leave a loop for a carabiner to hook into. I've got about four hours in sewing the end loops and one elastic band for foam pad. It may be a while before I start building a belt.

Mine adjust from both sides, but after using it this season, one side would be fine.

photo+3.JPG

I plan to sew my buckle like this to leave a loop for a carabiner to hook into. I've got about four hours in sewing the end loops and one elastic band for foam pad. It may be a while before I start building a belt.
I really like this loop option. The only real reason I was going to use a rc harness was to have a belay loop. Integrating it into the belt might be the way to go

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I really like this loop option. The only real reason I was going to use a rc harness was to have a belay loop. Integrating it into the belt might be the way to go

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This is my plan for my next SitDrag build.

What's the advantage of the belt "loop" vs using your existing bridge?
for me, when using the SRT system, i like to keep my lower ascender (for me its the GRIGRI 2) as close to my hips as possible. if I use the bridge, I have to adjust it super tight to keep the grigri close. also, by having this second "loop" on the belt, i can attach my bridge to my tether without my ascending stuff getting in the way, and on the way down, I can attach my rapelling gear without disturbing my bridge and tether.

here is a video showing the actual belt above, but I haven't quite figured out where it comes from yet....

Back