• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Interested in saddle hunter, but... --- my 1st post

TheWanderer

So I had seen the concept of tree saddles way back when and now am coming around to the idea again after listening to a couple podcasts about it and joining this forum.

If I were just hunting on my own I think it'd be great for me as I'm often in/out on public lands.

But I'm a little hung up on the idea because most of the time I'm trying to self-film my hunts. I've seen one youtube video where someone goes through a bit of this but they only demonstrate a small range of the motion that I'd have if I were trying to self-film out of a treestand.

I can imagine having camera on one side of tree while I shot off of other, but then it's hard to know if I'm in frame and make a last second adjustment. I think you could arrange it to have the camera on the same side of the tree you're shooting from but as I picture it in my mind it seems very easy to clank the bow off the camera or tree arm.

Any thoughts or videos to show me how this would work?

Thanks for your time.

First off welcome.

I usually do not film from a tree stand other than my iPhone. There are a bunch of gents here that do that. To me, you need a multi positional arm on your camera mounting bracket to be able to move the camera around the tree. As far keeping yourself and the deer or other game animal in frame, well most deer don’t seem to want Cooperate.

You could do two cameras. One mounted to the tree and another to your bow.

Welcome to the forum!! Filming from the saddle is no issue at all. Camera arm would go on the opposite side your bow is hanging from. So for a right handed shooter the Camera arm base goes on the right just above knee level. To film to the left move the camera between yourself and the tree. You can also go around the tree to the backside. There’s no spot you can’t film really. I will try to find some pics of my setup. You can find a bunch of my hunts from the saddle on YouTube under my same username here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum!! Filming from the saddle is no issue at all. Camera arm would go on the opposite side your bow is hanging from. So for a right handed shooter the Camera arm base goes on the right just above knee level. To film to the left move the camera between yourself and the tree. You can also go around the tree to the backside. There’s no spot you can’t film really. I will try to find some pics of my setup. You can find a bunch of my hunts from the saddle on YouTube under my same username here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flingin makes some GREAT hunt videos from the saddle - definitely worth taking his advice!

Thanks for the support. The flinginairos videos do look good.

I've been self-filming for a 4-5 years off and on and in the last year my buddy wants to take it a step further so we have three of us trying to film and share our hunts.

www.youtube.com/diy-hunter

Always looking for ways to cut weight since a tree arm and camera adds a lot to the pack. Will take a hard look at the aero kestrel and anything else you might recommend.

Last edited:
Back