• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Is a Saddle for me

Carcher87

I've seen the postings and read alot about saddles. I guess my question is are they comfortable for all day sits? Any regrets from anyone buying. I currently have a LW sit and climb flip top. Just picked up some LW sticks to go with my cheap seat for remote areas where trees are straight. I have considered selling the sit and climb for a Saddle but don't want to regret selling a 400+$ stand for a Saddle I might not like. I hunt all public land in different states and only archery hunt.

Thank you in advance for your experience and opinions on a over brought up topic.

The guido and sit drag are the only two that i own.
The guidos web is a very comfortable all dayer but yet it's really hot during the early bow season.
The sit drag is small and you have to build a confort of sitting or leaning to really get used to the stand. it's cooler, lighter and you can either wear this stand in or roll up and pack in the leg pockets of your pants.
After getting these stands, I found out how comfortable thsee stands are, how quite and portable the saddle is. Heck, I even sold my summit 180 that I swore by.
Now I'm waiting to see what is coming out this year by the other saddle companies. I maybe spending $$ for another.
It took me 5 years of thinking and curiosity before I bought my guido, I'm proud I did.
If you decide to buy one, practice, follow all safety instruction and ask all the questions you need here on saddlehunter.com. Before you know it, you will be in a saddle---- loving it....
Don't let it be 5 yr before you decide, it's a whole new world that I wish I would have started in the 80's.

How does it work for cold weather. Typically I later as the day goes on as I get colder. Is there a way to layer in a saddle?

I have completely stopped hunting private land and have only archery hunted public land the last two years. I can do this because the saddle and sticks (whether one stick or multi stick) give me such an edge over everybody else hunting the public land. That alone makes it worth the switch.

As far as being comfortable? I never wanted to suffer through an all day sit until I started saddle hunting. Now I actually enjoy all day sits.

Since you already have the sticks getting into saddle hunting wont be a major investment for you. But if you're still hesitant about selling the LW climber you could do as @Autumnrider suggested and try the sit drag with a cheap RC harness. This will get you successfully hunting public for well under $100.
Try it, you wont regret it.

This will be my third season in the sitdrag. I ordered the sitdrag 3 years ago to try a saddle and have never owned another saddle. I stopped there with the $40 saddle. I have sat all day if I think it's very comfortable. It weighs mere ounces.
I know the guidos web is more comfortable it comes at the price of weight and it's hot for early season sits. The new tribe is another saddle its less comfortable than the guidos but cooler for those early season sits. Just read up here and if someone is close to you try to meet up with them and try there rig out.
Be safe

Sent from my
Sit drag, Ernie's outdoors linesman belt,
At 20' up

Last edited:
Thank you to all who have commented do far. I am enjoying learning and reading more as you all comment.

Where are you located? maybe someone is close by you.

Sent from my
Sit drag, Ernie's outdoors linesman belt,
At 20' up

This will be my fourth season "saddle only". There is no other way to hunt for me now. I had a PILE of traditional stands and sold them all. I dont own a climber or lock on type stand now. You can layer in them for colder weather and sit all day just like any other stand if you have your system dialed in. Word of warning tho, you WILL spend money tinkering with everything and there will be hunts that for whatever reason it just doesn't go smooth, but that happens with regular stands as well ;) The weight savings alone will allow you to go farther than most other guys and allow you to hunt trees that they cant even dream about using with a climber.

I started with a Sit Drag this past season. Only hunted from it a couple times but have pretty much decided that I won't be pulling the climber out anymore.

Just bought a Guido's web from a guy in here so I'll have one for comfort and one for quick, hot, short hunts. Can't wait!!!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Been saddle hunting for roughly 19 years and recommend it to everyone I meet. It is my standard application but I still have use for my lightweight summit climber. Good luck!!!

I can layer no problem. Take with u what u want and hang extras on the tree or wear them but take off the coat when it's warmer and let it hang behind u. Saddle hunting is awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok great, I live in central PA and everyone I talk to is dumbfounded when I talk about saddle hunting.

Most people are like..."you do what now?" Then when you show them they are like....uhhhh (he double hockey sticks no!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back