• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

John Eberhart's Kestrel modifactions

John Eberhart

Vendor Rep
Below are 3 pictures I took of my Kestrel harness after my alterations were made to show it's small size, and weight which equate to incredible freelance mobility and general hunting advantages.

Any alterations to a Kestrel harness will immediately void its warranty and liability issues with New Tribe.

For safety reasons I in no way suggest anyone make such severe alterations. I've made modifications on all the harnesses I've used since 1981.

I love this harness because at any time I can add a adjustable safety strap for preparing trees or climbing when hunting. I lent this to my son Joe and he thinks it's more comfortable than the hybrid sling he has which I made for him. I have it back now.

I will be doing 5 seminars and will have a booth at the Outdoorama show in Novi Michigan on March 1-4, 4 seminars and a booth at the Ohio Deer Expo on March 16-18, and 2 seminars and a booth at the Akron Ohio show on March 24-25, 2018.

At each of these shows there will be a mockup tree in my booth and there will be someone (including me) in a commercial Kestrel harness during most of the shows. I believe Bobby Boswell will be at least at 2 of them and either my son Jon or David Ferianc will be at the others. My son Jon's been hunting out of a harness for over 30 years and David for 19 so they are both very adept at it and answering any and all questions.

These shows are going to be very interesting as most hunters out there have never heard of a harness and when they walk by and see someone hanging in one, well, it'll be a show stopper and the Novi and Ohio show have over 30,000 attendees.

I will also be advertising my Whitetail Workshops and selling my books and DVD's at these shows and I don't know for sure yet if New Tribe will be caught up enough to have some Kestrels to sell.

By the way that is an ordinary 10 oz. sized Death By Arrows cup next to my hybrid Kestrel.

PC221549 - Copy.JPG PC221543 - Copy.JPG PC221544 - Copy.JPG

Are you primarily hanging off T screws these days?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I bet others may do the same after seeing your modification. It looks more comfortable than a sit drag. It would be fun to see other hunters reactions at the show. I bet kestrel back orders may continue.

Maybe Bobbie can send us all a video of the show set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bet others may do the same after seeing your modification. It looks more comfortable than a sit drag. It would be fun to see other hunters reactions at the show. I bet kestrel back orders may continue.

Maybe Bobbie can send us all a video of the show set up.

Nonsense. The average hunter will go to the show, like the idea, stew on it until a month before the season, then place an order (like everyone else), and receive it after the season.

I expect TATs will be reasonable once we get to spring.

Interesting perspectives and I am so looking forward to watching the faces on treestand guys as I'll have a treestand company in the booth next to me.

Are you primarily hanging off T screws these days?

Yes, I've been draping my lead over either spikes that are drilled into the tree or extra long T screws sold by Cranford. A good percentage of the trees I hunt from are pretty big diameter so I can't use a conventional wrap around the lead strap. I will say this, if you decide to use spikes or T's, to drape the lead over they should go in at a downward angle and be buried very deep. The second spike or T that the end loop of the lead strap loops over doesn't hold much weight but the T in front of your face does.

Nonsense. The average hunter will go to the show, like the idea, stew on it until a month before the season, then place an order (like everyone else), and receive it after the season.

I expect TATs will be reasonable once we get to spring.

You are right who buys deer hunting gear in the winter I guess we should warn them of the dangers of waiting.

Last edited:
I'm also going to cut off the buckle from the waist strap and replace it with a plastic adjustment buckle. Not to fond of any metal to metal or the extra weight and that buckle is only there to keep the harness on and tight while climbing or descending. I disconnect or loosen the waist strap on my sling when hunting.

Also I just 2 weeks ago filmed 32 topic videos with a Deer & Deer Hunting videographer and we did 3 with me hanging and going through shooting motions from my sling harness and they will begin airing in May of 2018 through the deer season with one a week. I believe they are going to allow me to have the harness videos early to post on my Workshop site, Facebook page and saddlehunter. I really need to get more involved in this YouTube stuff as I think they could help a lot of harness hunters or change someone over from a stand to a harness.

To me it looks like you converted a kestrel into a super sit drag or sit drag deluxe. Am I correct or is there a different mod going on here? Also what was the purpose of doing the mod, reducing weight, comfort, a combination? I'm curious as I like to tinker with things, and I also like getting different perspectives and ideas.

Cheers,

Mike

If he cuts the waist belt, it is essentially a higher end sit drag with dedicated loops for the bridge and linemans belt.

Definitely more risk here, the whole system. Not for me but I'm sure this appeals to others. Everyone needs to do their own risk assessment.

If he cuts the waist belt, it is essentially a higher end sit drag with dedicated loops for the bridge and linemans belt.

Definitely more risk here, the whole system. Not for me but I'm sure this appeals to others. Everyone needs to do their own risk assessment.

John certainly has way way more experience than most and using his system is not for most of us. Not for me either but it is interesting for sure. I know the tree tether system is not for most of us. Leg straps, I like mine despite the weight I can see a few legs straps being removed.

Last edited:
Sold on this mod as it really would ease the discomfort i have been experiencing with this saddle. I have hunted exclusively from this saddle this year and have adjusted then readjusted.

Sold on this mod as it really would ease the discomfort i have been experiencing with this saddle. I have hunted exclusively from this saddle this year and have adjusted then readjusted.
Can you elaborate? Are the straps are giving you discomfort?

Back