• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Just an idea for those guys using xop seats

Erniepower

Vendor Rep
G2 has a video showing how to use a lone wolf strap. The strap works great, but wrapping the tail end around the frame and hooking the loop always seemed cumbersome to me.

I took some amsteel and spiced two loops into it using a brummels hitch. Then attached it to thee lone wolf strap to make it easier to wrap the tail

You could probably use an endless loop and accomplish the same thing, but I thought the route might be to bulky that way.

You could also cut the strap off of the buckle and attach directly to the buckle with a girth hitch.

Either way, if this helps you guys, cool.

I added the heat shrink just to hero the trails from the brummels hitch tidy.

adf0c97df0342c95888bb649ecf6e04b.jpg
f1a548074b61199bf38cb3c0554a2b1e.jpg
a33f63e404d621067d28be782f168f47.jpg
df80cc129a02661650396bfac963ebe5.jpg
7baf79072e10eca00609e2eda410500f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

pretty nice Ernie, I bet the heat shrink will help protect the amsteel from rubbing the platform also

G2 has a video showing how to use a lone wolf strap. The strap works great, but wrapping the tail end around the frame and hooking the loop always seemed cumbersome to me.

I took some amsteel and spiced two loops into it using a brummels hitch. Then attached it to thee lone wolf strap to make it easier to wrap the tail

You could probably use an endless loop and accomplish the same thing, but I thought the route might be to bulky that way.

You could also cut the strap off of the buckle and attach directly to the buckle with a girth hitch.

Either way, if this helps you guys, cool.

I added the heat shrink just to hero the trails from the brummels hitch tidy.

adf0c97df0342c95888bb649ecf6e04b.jpg
f1a548074b61199bf38cb3c0554a2b1e.jpg
a33f63e404d621067d28be782f168f47.jpg
df80cc129a02661650396bfac963ebe5.jpg
7baf79072e10eca00609e2eda410500f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Would a whoopi sling not be a complete replacement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would a whoopi sling not be a complete replacement?

The Whoopi sling on the platform is a complete PITA. The strap is way easier/faster. The loop is a little bit of a pain sometimes but I just deal with it lol. Ernie’s idea should work well.

The Whoopi sling on the platform is a complete PITA. The strap is way easier/faster. The loop is a little bit of a pain sometimes but I just deal with it lol. Ernie’s idea should work well.

Good to know..

I tried the Whoopie sling that ernie sent with the kit, and it drove me bat sh%t crazy. I tried using step knot with amsteel also a bit annoying. Went to the Lone wolf strap and love it. I actually girth hitch both ends and feed the strap through the buckle up in the tree. Not the best way but I do not mind it. Adjustment is so easy with the strap

I tried the Whoopie sling that ernie sent with the kit, and it drove me bat sh%t crazy. I tried using step knot with amsteel also a bit annoying. Went to the Lone wolf strap and love it. I actually girth hitch both ends and feed the strap through the buckle up in the tree. Not the best way but I do not mind it. Adjustment is so easy with the strap

The sling works no doubt but it’s just hard getting the tension perfect to cam it over. I can do the lone wolf strap in about 1/3 the time.

I think girth hitching both ends and feeding the strap through the buckle is a GREAT idea!

Here’s a pic also has the ameristeps on strap.
faf1a9501e29a2084f079c1b13841607.jpg

I notice you added a versa button on your platform. How does that work for you? Do you use it alone without the strap on the seat casting?

Did the same on mine but haven't tested it out yet. I'm pretty worried about the seat casting breaking like others have had and thought this may remove some of the excessive torque from the outer rim of the casting.

I notice you added a versa button on your platform. How does that work for you? Do you use it alone without the strap on the seat casting?

Did the same on mine but haven't tested it out yet. I'm pretty worried about the seat casting breaking like others have had and thought this may remove some of the excessive torque from the outer rim of the casting.
That was something I tried as the only method of attachment and I could not get it anywhere close to as rock solid as camming. I then used it to just hold the platform on the tree while I messed with the whoopie sling or stepps knot. It freed my hands up, for that it was great. But I do not think anything besides a ratchet strap would get it tight enough.

But I will finally listen to G2 and attach to the tether prior to stepping up on the platform!

I also believe that with the extra loops around the XOP platform, you'll don't have to worry about it breaking the little ear. Looks like a great idea to me!

That was something I tried as the only method of attachment and I could not get it anywhere close to as rock solid as camming. I then used it to just hold the platform on the tree while I messed with the whoopie sling or stepps knot. It freed my hands up, for that it was great. But I do not think anything besides a ratchet strap would get it tight enough.

But I will finally listen to G2 and attach to the tether prior to stepping up on the platform!
YES. If the platform/strap/post/ear/rope/whatever is going to break, it's going to break right when you step up on it. Make sure you're tethered in first. A Lineman belt will stop you from getting killed, but you're gonna get hurt. Taking 30 seconds to attach your tether ahead of time will solve all those problems.

I am still waffling between amsteel step knot or lone wolf strap. Love the ease of the strap but I love the lack of a metal buckle to keep things as quiet as possible. I started with the strap and have since switched to amsteel... Decided to sacrifice time setting up for the silence of amsteel. I know the buckle can be silent if you are careful but I hate it when I clank something setting up. I go for slow and quiet any day over speed. But that is just me...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

almost looks like you could add the 2 steps to your strap and then have a public land ready setup. I don't know those steps maybe they are on your strap and just cannot tell but we need some steps with 1" slots so we can make straps that way. I like it
Here’s a pic also has the ameristeps on strap.
faf1a9501e29a2084f079c1b13841607.jpg

almost looks like you could add the 2 steps to your strap and then have a public land ready setup. I don't know those steps maybe they are on your strap and just cannot tell but we need some steps with 1" slots so we can make straps that way. I like it

These 2 ameristeps are on my lone wolf strap. Works great, this is my favorite setup if it’s not a long walk.

Back