• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Just got my saddle

Elric42

So, my Aerohunter came in the mail! I am already planning on setting up a tree with steps near the ground to practice with, both using the saddle and my bow.

Can anyone offer a newbie some tips? I'd be very grateful for any advice you all have.

Thanks!

Elric42

Safety first
Stay secured to the tree always.
It ain't a race.
Practice everything from approaching the tree, unpacking,climbing, getting set, getting ready to come down,
Climbing down, packing. Do it over and over until it is "normal" before ever trying it in the dark. I stood on the ground practicing transferring my weight from the lines man belt to the sit drag for close to a week before I climbed a foot.

Sent from my
Sit drag, Ernie's outdoors linesman belt,
At 20' up

So, my Aerohunter came in the mail! I am already planning on setting up a tree with steps near the ground to practice with, both using the saddle and my bow.

Can anyone offer a newbie some tips? I'd be very grateful for any advice you all have.

Thanks!

Elric42

Watch Boswells sloow video and figure out the adjustments and then get the pressure evenly distributed between your legs butt and back. Then you will like it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you start to practice shooting, have a helper (who is patient) with a pull rope to bring them back up OR be sure to take a dozen arrows up the tree. You will get tires of climbing up and down. That is when you rush or make a mistake and slip.

Come up with a routine for attaching and double checking your knots and attachments, and do it every time. If something ever distracts you while setting up, or if you ever have that feeling of something being g missing/off, never ignore it... Take a few seconds to double check your connections. It doesn't take much distraction (is that a deer coming?) To interrupt your setup, resulting in a fatal mistake. Listen to that little voice!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Just like ImThere said, don't rush it. Take your time and get the fit right. If you're not comfortable everything else will suffer. Starting low until you trust your equipment is key, it's a whole different feeling dangling from a rope 20' up. It can be a little unnerving at first when you're used to hunting from stands.

Back