• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Kestle vs Guidos Web

Michbowhunter

I have a quidos web and love it as it's the most comfortable thing I have ever hunted in. So has any web users got a new Kestrel and what's your thoughts. I'm always looking to improve on my saddle setups but sit some all day sits so I need comfort. I hated using the tree saddle because of hip pinch.

So what is everyone thinking?

You can look at the kestrel and see what it resembles. (Not the guidos)

I wasn't comfortable all day the first year I hunted out of a tree saddle, but now I can sleep in it.

Bought a new guidos one year and sold it for a loss after one hunt. Doesn't mean the guidos is bad, it was very comfortable. I just felt constricted in it movement wise and wasnt worth the tradeoff to me

Last edited:
I just felt constricted in it movement wise and wasnt worth the tradeoff to me
That is the best description for how I feel it in that I've never been able to put into words.

I think you'll still use the guidos, especially if your from Michigan or anywhere with cooler weather. Comparing the web to any other saddle is apple and oranges. There is nothing like the web on the market.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I love my guido's web, and if it is below 50*, and there's a chance i'll hunt all day, I'll use it exclusively.

I have a SD and a lifting sling that are closer to the Kestrel. If I've got many miles to cover, or its 60+ degrees, i'm using one of them.

For comfort the GW can't be beat. And I don't think the kestrel, nor any other saddle without a solid base to sit on, will match in comfort.

Having said that, I've made four hour sits in my homemade stuff, and was just fine. a good place to rest your feet is imperative for long sits without the back support of the GW. Being able to stand up and lean for a while and get the blood flowing helps for sure.

I do feel more restricted in the GW, but I shot a deer last season at about the 5 o'clock position, and it was quite easy to maneuver and make the shot quickly.

I get my kestrel next week, but I have a ton of info I can pass on. I'll pm you my phone number

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I would like to hear from you on this. I use the guidos and have a kestrel on order.

They are so different it's really hard to compare them. The Web is the most comfy "stand" or saddle on the market hands down. It's bulky and way too many straps/buckles for me so the lighter weight minimalist saddles are a better fit for how I hunt. I kind of wish I didn't sell mine but it just wasn't being used that much. I tend to take lighter weight over comfort most days lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey. Speaking of hip pinch on a TL. Has anyone ever tried a rope bridge with a spreader bar? like a kids swing?

I am not sure but I think he means a bar between the bridge to keep it from pinching the thighs. But I could be wrong.

You got it Apex7

Interested to hear responses on this...
I have played with the idea even though I am used to saddle pressure.
One of the cleanest ways I have found was a scrap of fiberglass batten, loops of para cord and a couple of small s-biners.
With holes in the ends of the batten I could put the s-biner through it. Then wrap the loops of para cord around the sides of your bridge like we do for the back band. Attach the other end or the s-biner and slide the bar up on both sides of your bridge towards the peak and it spreads the load.
Now I should say that I do not hunt but the bar seemed to be out of my way, quiet and rotated silently when pivoting from side to side.

I think the key is to form something to spread the bridge at the top - near your tether hook up point. My logic is that this will lessen the squeeze. I am no stranger to being wrong though, dadgum it.

I thought about a 4-6" piece of metal/aluminum, bent at a angle or better yet bent into an arch. This will ride along the inside of your bridge to separate it somewhat. I dont think you'd need a huge spread if it is at the biner area; at your waist the spreader bar would need to be much wider. Maybe a chunk of pipe would work with the bridge running through it? Chain link top railing with chamfered edges???

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Once you add the weight and bulk of spreader bars, you just as soon use a onehair tree seat. A piece of plywood is far simpler and more comfortable. If you use a spreader you increase the risk of falling out of the thing or getting sideways up to the point of the plywood seat. It's the same concept.

I think the key is to form something to spread the bridge at the top - near your tether hook up point. My logic is that this will lessen the squeeze. I am no stranger to being wrong though, dadgum it.

I thought about a 4-6" piece of metal/aluminum, bent at a angle or better yet bent into an arch. This will ride along the inside of your bridge to separate it somewhat. I dont think you'd need a huge spread if it is at the biner area; at your waist the spreader bar would need to be much wider. Maybe a chunk of pipe would work with the bridge running through it? Chain link top railing with chamfered edges???

You are correct I think about trying to correct the problem at the top. I wouldn't try to spread out the single connection point though and instead try to come up with a two connection tether for your bridge to run through.

Like maybe try girth hitching some kind of daisy chain around a tree and clipping a carabiner into the first loop through that girth hitch. Then clip another carabiner to a loop on opposite side of tree. Run your bridge through both carabiners creating more of a sliding swing set effect rather than single pivot point

Untitled.png

Good points, but I am not trying to spread my bridge.
I am going to devote a bunch of time in my 'soft' saddles this esrly season, this time with the techniques commonly known to reduce hip squeeze.
If that isnt working for me, or if I get too squirmy in my tree, I will switch to one of my hard based seats similar to Onehair's. I have loved the hard based seats, but want to try a softer saddle for the packing in and quiet(er) potential.

I can see the difference from the ability to the kestrel but wondering who has both and what are your thoughts. Web has its pro's and con's like anything else, I bought a Evo and sold because to me it wasn't an improvement on the web besides the weight.

Back