• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Kestrel Pouches

justsomedude

Thought I should make a separate thread....

These Molle loops are TIGHT. Don't expect to feed buckles through. Web with snaps will get through. MALICE Clips work great.
MaxPedition TacTies if you need a soft connection.

The design of the Kestrel (the extra rotation room of the bridge) is putting all of the molle pretty far back. I attached my Evo pouches farther forward. Most things I put in pouches are clipped in at the other end so I won't drop them.

Like any saddle/harness, it gets saggy when you load it up and walk but this fit ad belt are definitely better in that regard. When I climb, I like to have my platform with me. I may put it in a rear dump pouch.

If you don't mind paying $25 for a pouch, these are GREAT http://www.tacticaltailor.com/fightlightrollupdumppouch.aspx
Big enough to hold my rappel rope with a GriGri and easily rolled up when you want it out of the way. The material is softer than standard dump pouches too.

I find the Maxpedition RolyPoly to be the right size for Linesman's belt. It's at least half the size of a standard pouch.

SAFETY NOTE. However I am getting down the tree, I always keep my tether, linesman's belt, platform available. Dropping gear down or putting it in your pack is something you might regret one day.

IMG_2866.JPG Here's the fleece pouch setup. Linesmans belt and bridge on the right if I want to. My ameristep platform in the back. Left is for tether, rappel rope. That ione could be smaller but I'm going to use it a while.

Fleece adds very little weight and bulk. As for noise, it actually makes the Kestrel much quieter

View attachment 2552 Here's the fleece pouch setup. Linesmans belt and bridge on the right if I want to. My ameristep platform in the back. Left is for tether, rappel rope. That ione could be smaller but I'm going to use it a while.

Fleece adds very little weight and bulk. As for noise, it actually makes the Kestrel much quieter

What are the dimensions of your pouches, I'm going to the fabric store this afternoon, looks like I'm going to start another DIY project

IMG_2870.JPG I'm going to be modifying mine a little. 9" tall is a good basic

6" wide for my small Linesmans belt.
Back pouch is 11" wide.
9"x9" is probably good for bulky tethers.

I just run elastic through the top seam and tie it to keep tension on it.

View attachment 2552 Here's the fleece pouch setup. Linesmans belt and bridge on the right if I want to. My ameristep platform in the back. Left is for tether, rappel rope. That ione could be smaller but I'm going to use it a while.

saw this on the other thread - pretty cool - I had been wondering what you used each for (newbie) - did you create a cylinder shape with a flat bottom to create some capacity or did you just sew two sides together? I think you mentioned on the other thread adding shock cord Would be curious about dimensions as well. can you show a picture of the loops on the side that attaches to the molle?

IMG_2874.JPG This is a pouch flipped up so you can see the back

On the stuff sacks, I just sewed them as rectangular bags. I made one stuff sack with a round bottom but you don't need that for these.

My straps were random cutoffs from scraps that has buckles already,
It's a good idea to attach at least 4" of webbing to the fleece to distribute the load. I thought they would tear, but they have held up well.

This board may force you to change from - justsomedude to TheKestrelDude!

I havent even ordered one, but always look forward to reading your Kestrel posts.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

I am one step away from starting a go-fund-me page to buy you a thread injector just so I can get better ideas for mine!

Please keep it up!

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

I HAVE a sewing machine...just not good at it. I have a few friends that are Pro's and they have threatened to teach me....they think it is hilarious that I am making hunting/camping gear

IMG_2876.JPG Sewing Maxpedition TacTies on works great. But you have to think ahead and sew them on before you sew the bag shut

Last edited:
OK i made some pouches for my kestrel, I made 2 of them 8x9 and one 11x9.
6461fa18afa3e4d8f10d1bcb91724e60.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Im thinking about making these with draw string top what type of cord do you recommend. I want something that will kind of stay open on it's own so I'm thinking of using a stiffer cord not sure what to get though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shock cord is best. I gather where it is about half closed and just stretches open when I put my hand in it. Some times I put hardware on the cord but usually don't need it.

Regular elastic cord doesn't work as well as shock cord

What size pouch would you recommend to store 5 ameristeps with the small overcenter boat buckle? I just Daisy chain my ropes up and let them hang. But I don't have a good way to carry my ameristeps.

My back pouch is 11" Wide and 9' high. I gather in the top with shock cord to keep some tension on it. I just roll up the steps/strap and stuff it in.

Back