• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Kestrel Users Aero Hunter needs some input

Boudreaux

Vendor Rep
One thing we know about saddles is they are difficult to "size" Aero. Aero is looking for a better way to determine the size of saddles instead of going by waist size.
One thought they had is to look at seam to seam size from pants. So what they would like from you kestrel users is the measurement in inches from the outside seam (on your hips) of your pants around your butt (in a slightly squatted stance) to the seam on the other side of your pants, this measurement and the size kestrel that you are using.
I have attached a ROUGH sketch of kind of the way to measure it. They are wanting to see if this is a possible solution to the size question that always comes up.
thumbnail_kestrel sizing model s.jpg

Thanks,
Boswell

One thing we know about saddles is they are difficult to "size" Aero. Aero is looking for a better way to determine the size of saddles instead of going by waist size.
One thought they had is to look at seam to seam size from pants. So what they would like from you kestrel users is the measurement in inches from the outside seam (on your hips) of your pants around your butt (in a slightly squatted stance) to the seam on the other side of your pants, this measurement and the size kestrel that you are using.
I have attached a ROUGH sketch of kind of the way to measure it. They are wanting to see if this is a possible solution to the size question that always comes up.
View attachment 4460

Thanks,
Boswell

Will do it and will report. I wear a size 2 and find it difficult to reach the linemans belt loop to hook into. Always thinking I need a size 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wear a size 40 waist and my measurement seam to seam was 23 7/8. I use a size 2 kestrel and am happy with the fit. The linesmans loops are back a little but I like where they are. When tethered in I daisy chain my linesmans rope and hook behind my back from one loop to the other. Never gets in the way.

23 seam to seam on a 34 waist size pants.
I probably am borderline size 1 or 2 but if I could do it again, I’d get a size 2.

I don’t think this is an accurate way of measuring. I bet if I put a different pant on, the measurement will be different. If @redsquirrel took his measurements in his skinny jeans, it would skew the experiment. Different cut pants will have different measurements and some people like a snug saddle and some like a loose saddle. My size 1 Kestrel is snug.
A better measurement would be around your waist at the biggest part of your butt.

I think the best measurement is going to your local sporting goods store and trying them on. That’s not happening anytime soon. Saddle fit is a very personal thing. After you account for every body type then you have personal preference to deal with. If you were in the middle you wouldn’t know without a couple hunts in each one. I haven’t seen anyone fussing about being swallowed by a size 2 so I would say when in doubt go for size 2.

28.5" 6'4" and full of muscle. (anyone know that song?)

View attachment 4460

Thanks,
Boswell

Hi Boswell , this is a great idea. I have the size one kestrel and Im 6’ with a 32” waist and everyone I have been introducing my kestrel to is 6’2 to 6’5 and the waist belt is not an issue ... its all about the butt also all agree the linesman loops are to far back too. If you do make an update to the Kestrel please put “D “ loops for the linesman belt pleaseeeeee :)

I was going to post a question about size, but this may have helped me determine what size I order. I'm 6'1" ,185#, with approx 34" waist. I almost ordered a size 1., but was concerned about heavier clothing. After reading this, and seeing some guys my size either are happy with a size 2,or wish they got a 2. So it sounds like I should order a size 2. If you guys think I'm off on getting a size 2 instead of a 1, please let me know. Thank you!

Last edited:
I chose a size 2 for a waist of 38. I have lots of belt left on the waist after I cinch it. But it gives me lots of room for extra layers in the winter. the linemen loops are just a touch small so increasing them by about inch would be good.

Hi Boswell , this is a great idea. I have the size one kestrel and Im 6’ with a 32” waist and everyone I have been introducing my kestrel to is 6’2 to 6’5 and the waist belt is not an issue ... its all about the butt also all agree the linesman loops are to far back too. If you do make an update to the Kestrel please put “D “ loops for the linesman belt pleaseeeeee :)

Using your method I cam up with 25 inches. And I’m using a size 1. I’m. 5’6 155lbs. And my waist is 33inches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

View attachment 4460

Thanks,
Boswell

Ok using your method to measure I’m 25’ I’m using the size 1 and i think it fits great. 5’6 153 lbs 33inch waist

Will do it and will report. I wear a size 2 and find it difficult to reach the linemans belt loop to hook into. Always thinking I need a size 3.

I had an issue w how far back the LB loop was too.

I climbed a couple trees today but I was in jeans and a T-shirt. It's not bad then, but when I gear up, it's a pain.

I like where they are, to me they are perfectly placed. But that’s just my opinion. I can compare it to the guidos web and those are way to far forward to me.

I'm 6'1, 210 and i wear a 36 waist max, with a 27.5 seam to seam measurement like requested. Ordered size 1 first and felt ok but thought I was at its limit without heavier clothing. Got a size 2 now and felt like they sent me a size 1 1/2 if they made one. Waist belt is plenty long in size 2 but that can be shortened. Very comfortable now, size one is more for guys with a 32 waist and 155lbs or lower IMO.

Back