• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Kuiu experience?

justsomedude

I've been accumulating used and outlet Kuiu clothing and selling my old school heavy stuff...I got tired of feeling like an astronaut in the woods wearing 20 pounds of wool.

I have a few layers of Merino base (not Kuiu)

I am REALLY impressed with the quality of the Peloton series.

My kit: Peloton Beanie and Neck Gaitor, Guide Gloves, Peloton 200 Zip T, Peloton 240 Full Zip, Attack Pants, Teton Insulated jacket, Kenai Zip Off Insulated Pants

I can see the Attack Pants will catch on thorns. I love the fit and stretch material and the hip vents.

The Peloton layers are SO light. The 200 zip T is a mid/outer layer and the 240 full zip has a wind barrier. I will experiment with the 240 on top of and below the insulated jacket.

I HOPE I still love this stuff when the temps drop.
Here in TN, it is rare to hunt below 20F but then the temps will jump up in the 50's-60 so you have to be versatile. And the air is WET so you can't underestimate the moderate low temps.

I been picking up pieces on sale the last 2 years. I love the feel of the merino 140 base layers. It's my go to base layer all year. I need more. I want to wear the same one everyday and I did for a few days and it still had no smell that I could sense. To be able to zip off the base layer pants without taking your boots and top layer completely off is a game changer for me. I usually scout after a morning hunt and in the past with other base layers, once I get to walking I start sweating.
I also got the peloton 240 full zip. It is nice to keep warm and wind proof but I got a few pulls on it from brush. I still like it for it's weight and effectiveness. Attack pants are suppose to be the go too pant and supposedly tough. I don't have them yet. I wanted knee pads for saddle hunting so I got the alpine and chinook I like them both and they been holding up great. Chinook is tougher and warmer than the alpine. I just got the guide jacket. It seems bullet proof and very warm yet no bulk and light. It's gonna make an awesome jacket plus is water resistant.
Just got the tiburon shirt. Super light and breathable. Gonna be perfect early season. Would have got the tiburon pants too but they didn't have my size left.
I've used my kuiu in Nebraska in November and in Ms and Al all year. I have no complaints and want more!!
Bought the icon pro 5500 for an elk hunt that fell through a couple years ago. Hopefully I go next year. I use it for backpacking and have no complaints. Gonna use it on hog hunts to pack them out.
Just bought me a project rifle that I been modding out. Been a long time bow only. I'm ready to relax and snipe something with my new toy.

They are pretty careful to refer to almost all of their gear as mid layers :)
I am thinking about getting a workshirt just to wear when walking through the woods. I am in thorns a lot.

My Merino is mostly Minus33 etc. I'm OK with it not being camo :)
But the Zip off midlayer pants is something I have had my eye on.
I am hoping that merino base plus Attack Pants but opening the hip vents will be OK.

Ok if you're moving, not so great for long stands in cold weather. I have some and it has its place but other materials work better in certain situations. It's designed for stop/start hunting so it's going to breathe well and dry quick.

Back