• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Late to post, First Buck with Kestrel on Sit #2

Bowhunter0_0

IMG_7275.jpg IMG_7275.jpg IMG_7293.jpg IMG_7293.jpg Hi,

Just thought I would post a few pictures of my first deer with my new Kestrel on my second sit this was on November 8th 2017. I have used the trophyline tree saddle and Guidos web, Guidos is awesome for comfort but a little bulky. I had tried the Evolution and didnt like at all and returned it, I was excited to get the new Kestrel and even though I have only used a handful of times I think it is a great saddle, I prefer to sit usually, but with the Kestrel I was in the tree up to 4 hours at a time and Leaned the entire time, with a xop paltform with head high tether hookup and was extremely comfortable. I actually missed a doe out of this tree the day prior, 3 times OMG, I know!!!! I really beefed up my arrows adding a 75 grain brass insert to my full metal Jackets, I forget the weight but they are heavy, Went up in weight due to a lost buck 2 years ago with a shot in the shoulder, but that is a different story. The doe referenced above I thought she was at 30 yards but was around 36-37, didnt range her, I did have a great backdrop, I shot under her each time just by and inch or 2, the interesting thing is she knew something was up but couldnt pick me out, I was wearing ASAT and I think when you are leaning in the tree like we do in a sadlle they cant pick us out nearly as easy. Note to self, use my rangefinder the next time :).

Anyway the next day same tree, I see a pretty nice buck come in on a run and stop out in a CRP opening with his head on a swivel, I grunt at him and he takes off like he got hit with lightning, note to self, I am not grunting at the next buck I see if I do. Anyway at 12:06 pm, I catch a glimpse of a good buck sneaking though about 75 yards away, I have had success Snort Wheezing with my mouth in the past, so I gave it a go, he turned immediately and started coming my way, I lost sight of him but could hear him rubbing a tree, from past experience I decided to keep quiet, a little over a minute later, he resumed his walk over to me to see where the snort wheeze came from. I went to draw when he was about 25 yards away, the problem was it is very brushy where I was, and wasnt sure I was going to get a clean shot, I was able to quitely swing slightly to keep my pin on him as he approched my set up, He didnt give me any other options as far as shot choice as he was headed pretty much under my tree, I shot him at about 8 yards, was not trying to spine him but that is what I did, thank god for the heavy arrows I think they definetly made a difference between a dead deer and a long tracking job, with possibly nothing to show for it. I had to put a finishing shot on him just to be sure he wouldn't miraculously get up and run away.

I did get this all on video, but I havent downloaded the video to my computer, but thought I would finally share a few pictures Of my First Buck in my Kestrel, Which is my new favorite, probably for obvious reasons. Happy Hunting, Jeff.

Attachments

• IMG_7267.jpg
    IMG_7267.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Heckuva nice buck!! Congrats and thanks for the pics and the awesome story!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow! Congratulations man, awesome buck.

Smoker! What a stud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back